Discuss Micro-generation/smart meters compatibility issues in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SolarCity

-
Arms
Reaction score
We went to see a potential customer earlier in the week who had had smart meters fitted recently. He told me that the engineer warned him about problems in the future if a PV system was installed and that it probably wouldn't be compatible with the meters he had fitted.

Has anyone heard of this before?

A proper smart meter that can handle and record energy flow in both directions? In which case, I thought that part of the point of them was they could handle pv.

Or

What British Gas et al call a smart meter, which is little more than an energy monitor? In which case I could see it going belly up depending on where their current clamp is fitted in relation to the pv.

The only issue I have heard of is early SmartMeters that could not register export. But that is just the same as not having an export meter fitted so 50% deeming applies.

Reply to Micro-generation/smart meters compatibility issues in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Morning All I recently completed my first re wire and board change, (with help from the owner who is a gas fitter and plumper, who works with my...
Replies
Views
Hi all, a recent call out to a frantic home owner that the most everything in the house had blown up ! The cause was quickly found, the recently...
Replies
Views
Our solar system was installed 8 years ago. We had no problems until EON replaced our smart meter, and our electricity and gas meters with it...
Replies
Views
These are going to become the norm aren't they? I've been reading this...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have installed 2 meters (each meter is a 3 phase meter) for sub-metering in a residential house (1 phase installation per apartment). One...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock