Discuss Minimum education standards for being an Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

edexlab

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just a little rant
I've been reading post's on here for a while now and I think the standards for becoming an Electrician have obviously dropped so low now my 10 year old son could become one (he's actually very bright)
So many posts on here now, where the spelling and wording are of a sub 10 yr old age level, I'm finding it frustrating that people come on here asking for help, yet they can barely string two words together or spell basic words to make a comprehensible question!

My advice to new posters is if you can't be bothered to check your post first, then why should you expect help from some of the best minds this trade has to offer,
It doesn't have to be English to degree level but if you want help make an effort yourself!
Rant over!

[h=2]Minimum education standards for being an Electrician[/h]

part p multi choice exam
1 day pat testing course
17 th edition multi choice exam
£6,000-£8,000 to a skill centre
£45.00 CSCS card
£500 in a brown envelope to a scheme
£1,000000 PL insurance

Welcome to the Trade.

I also use to sit and wonder about the spelling and punctuation etc but I kinda figure that mobile devices with their funky keypads, small screens and dodgy predictive spelling thingies are at least partly to blame along with the txtspk culture of the young ones where abbreviated language is practically an official dialect nowadays. Then again maybe you're right and they're just thick as two short planks, who knows?

Minimum education standards for being an Electrician

part p multi choice exam
1 day pat testing course
17 th edition multi choice exam
£6,000-£8,000 to a skill centre
£45.00 CSCS card
£500 in a brown envelope to a scheme
£1,000000 PL insurance

Welcome to the Trade.

That's for a DI, the question was for an Electrician! :)

It would probably take longer and harder to learn to type well , than it would to become a Electrical Trainee fool..

Ez mate lol. No seriously, you are quite right. The only time I make mistakes generally is because I'm using my phone and the predictive text changes it!

I would imagine that if you go back 50 years, you had to be a lot better educated than you are now!

Supposed to be the superior trade hmmph!
I actually got a D in English so if I can do it, plus phones and tablets etc show up the correct spellings so in my book there's no excuse at all, its just pure laziness!

I'm just waiting now for someone to pick me up on my posts lol!
Sometimes I see a post and I just think there's no way I'd reply to it like some better natured guys do, simply because I'm thinking if they can't be bothered with posting something legible then they probably don't put the effort in to learning their job and therefore don't deserve help
Its been said by some members that the downfall of this trade will be caused by people in it, I'm inclined to agree!
Just think we should keep standards high here!

But is this the fault of schools surely teachers teach differently now
Same with maths so the kids leave without a good grasp of basic knowledge

Our youngest is a very bright young man but until recently his spelling, punctuation and grammar were dreadful. I went to a parent teacher session and asked his English tutor why he wasn't getting pulled up about it because I was constantly on to him about it. The reply was as long as the teacher can see and understand the points he is making then that is the important thing.
Ridiculous I know but there you have it.

At least your posts are readable!
I'm not saying that not being able to spell means you'll be a poor electrician but you need a level of intelligence to do this job and it's not being shown in the phrasing of posts
Also I've never had a problem reading your posts, so you obviously write them with some care that others will be able to understand
My point is more about making the effort,

...And yet my litany of profligate yet weighty academic merits did me no good in my ascension to the lofty altitudes in which i amble....it was my turrets that counted....BUMCURRANTS! :bow:

I've just started reading a book on Gravity, that my mate's Mrs did the typesetting (or whatever it's called) for.
She'll be mortified when I find some errors!
Especially how, when I found some errors in the author's previous book, she gleefully stated how she hadn't done that one! :)

I'm not saying that not being able to spell means you'll be a poor electrician but you need a level of intelligence to do this job and it's not being shown in the phrasing of posts
I know exactly what you're getting at mate and completely agree but the problem is with the schools as far as I'm concerned.
An example, when the oldest lad started school he could read and write to a point, we'd taught him Ay Be Cee not A Bu Cu. One of the teachers pulled me about it and told me we'd done it wrong because he was a long way ahead of the other kids. Needless to say I told them to pull their heads out of their bums, the other 2 kids were taught exactly the same.
If someone can't be bothered to teach their kids the basics then they've failed them.

Just a little rant
I've been reading post's on here for a while now and I think the standards for becoming an Electrician have obviously dropped so low now my 10 year old son could become one (he's actually very bright)
So many posts on here now, where the spelling and wording are of a sub 10 yr old age level, I'm finding it frustrating that people come on here asking for help, yet they can barely string two words together or spell basic words to make a comprehensible question!

My advice to new posters is if you can't be bothered to check your post first, then why should you expect help from some of the best minds this trade has to offer,
It doesn't have to be English to degree level but if you want help make an effort yourself!
Rant over!
You make a good point about the poor standards of written English.
I see it here and in other forums.
I don't generally comment on it unless it is funny, usually inadvertently, or obscures the meaning of the post.

Sometimes you can tell region from the phonetics.
In another forum I brought up the jaw jaw is better than war war by Churchill.
Being a Scot, it just doesn't work for me - jaw and war don't rhyme.

OK. In another life far, far away and a very long time ago I had a girlfriend who was a school teacher in a north London school. She showed me some essays her young charges had written. One word sticks in my mind was "betaters".
You have to say it out loud to get what the child meant. Potatoes. She just spelt it as she heard it.

But is this the fault of schools surely teachers teach differently now
Same with maths so the kids leave without a good grasp of basic knowledge

Yes, definitely not my fault!:smiley2:
My eldest 'couldn't do maths' and I remember spending hours (with plenty of tears!) trying to help without just giving answers. She wasn't in top set when doing GCSE's and only able to get a 'C' at best, but she was top of her class and Maths became her favourite subject.

Reply to Minimum education standards for being an Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net