Discuss Mounting an Array in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking at my 1st install, electrically piece of cake! Mechanically/structurally I'm a bit nervous.

Customer wants an array on a barn roof.

Whole structure is made of pre-formed concrete pillars, joists etc. Newish roof is metal panels which have been screwed onto wooden battens that I guess have been secured to the concrete cross members etc.

Wooden battens look to be only 50mm thick, 100mm wide, and these are spaced about 1.5m apart (from eaves to ridge).

Questions:

1) What is the best mounting system for this, bearing in mind I've only got about 50mm of wood to screw into?

2) With the joists 1.5m apart. The Schuco installation manual suggests that brackets are at 1/4 & 3/4 positions on the long side of the panels. Does it matter if this requirement is not met?

Got some photos if the description above is no good!

Im not experianced enough to be best helping - but just my own thoughts after reading what you put:

50mm deep batons then concrete - maybe hanger bolts could be the best thing here.

1500 centers, i think you may need to noggin out inbetween to get the reccomended supports. I would follow Schuco guide because its written for a reason. Last thing you want is the panels coming off on a dark windy night.

If hanger bolts into the wood are'nt practical ,you could drill through,and using hanger bolts for steel purlins (machine thread both ends)
into unistrut screwed to purlins ,or unistrut with brackets fixed to concrete pillars , but you'd have to use locknuts to prevent hanger bolt moving and ensure the unistrut isnt going any where, I saw this method used to fix some air extraction unit cowls made of 2mm galv sheet metal on lightweight angle frames and they were 1m high 3m long and not at all aerodynamic these blokes put them up
next day was very windy and they didn't move at all

Reply to Mounting an Array in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net