Discuss Moving to a house 3 meters from a 11kv sub station in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi
we are looking at a buying a house that has a small 11kv substation within 3m from the edge of the house, it is walled off and gated.
my main concern is emf s given off in and around the house and garden, distribution cables running under the house.
has anyone any knowledge of measuring emf s in domestic houses near substations and if it has health risks associated .

also I guess the voltage will be a lot higher in the house , so am thinking about a step down voltage transformer within house.
thanks dave

If proximity to electric cables was a health risk we'd all be dead from walking down the pavements!

Emf is no danger to you unless you touch a live conductor in which case you will receive an electric shock. Emf is electromotive force, which is a measure of the energy potentially available from a source of supply measured in volts (simplified version)

should have a decent Ze. i have a customer in same situation.he still has all his hair and he's not impotent.

I vaguely remember this being in the news quite a few years back.
There were tales of people dying prematurely from unknown causes, whose bedrooms were adjacent to sub-stations.
I can't remember if any conclusions were arrived at. It put me off ever living next door to one.

By 'EMF' are you referring to electromagnetic fields? There's risk of confusion because 'EMF' properly means electromotive force which is roughly the same thing as voltage.

Regarding health effects, there have been various studies over time but very few that were extensive, rigorous and independent. It is accepted in the scientific community that EM fields can have effects on biological organisms, but they are very difficult to measure or quantify. There is no obvious and universal correlation between exposure and harm.

On the other hand there is a vast amount of scaremongering pseudo-science in literature and on the www, mostly aimed at selling 'protective devices', books, treatments etc. Some of it looks highly convincing even when (as often) it is based on no valid data whatsoever, only the opinions and assumptions of the writer.

With near-fields, such as the magnetic leakage from a transformer, the field strength decreases with distance by approximately an inverse cube law. However much it decreases 1m from the transformer, it will be around 27 times lower 3m from it. And just because a transformer is large, that doesn't mean it radiates a higher field strength. The leakage from one of your domestic appliances might produce a greater field strength from when you are standing.

Expect your Ze values to be very low and corresponding higher PEFC/PFC values. If the supply is PME, then you have less to worry about regarding loss or breakdown of Neutral conductor than those further along the DNO distribution cable.
Then again, this DNO 11KV/400V distribution TX may not be supplying you at all!! lol!!

As for EMF radiation, i wouldn't give it a second thought. If we were talking about a super grid overhead lines passing over your house then you may have a point to worry about!!

distribution cables running under the house.

No they definitely won't be under the house.

also I guess the voltage will be a lot higher in the house , so am thinking about a step down voltage transformer within house

No you won't need to do anything about it, it won't be out of limits

As others have said there was a lot of concern, much the same with mobile phones and phone masts years ago, but if there was a serious problem we'd be hearing more about it.

But if you have any concerns, don't buy the house, it'll save you worrying in the future.

and don't even consider being in the same room as your microwave, router, or gas boiler.

On the scientifically proven grounds of what exactly?

400KV got a bit more energy behind it so you'll be burnt to a crisp wheras 11KV will just leave you merely well-done.

Plus of course there's more invisible rays so you need two layers of foil in your tinfoil hat, or maybe a takeaway dish.

I can't believe it's the first of April already!

you never know. that sub station could be the target of a terrorist attack. more likely a pikey attack for the copper, though.

Reply to Moving to a house 3 meters from a 11kv sub station in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net