Discuss Multiple connections to one meter in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SW1970

Hi folks, scenario is "old fashioned" meter with two sets of tails connected to the meter (going to different parts of the same property), haven't taken the cover off but it looks each pair is in the same terminal. Doesn't look like an acceptable termination to me (should be service connector block) but is this something you recognise as being done by DNO or installers in the past? Plan is to have it sorted as part of current works but it's a case of how serious I pitch it to client. Many thanks, SW

Not something I would have thought the DNO would have done

Short term solution install henley block , switched fuses and correct cable where required

Don’t take the cover off the meter, cutout fuses are one thing, meters you’ll get the hobnail boots treatment. I’ve seen up to 5 tails going in to a meter in an old installation. It was nothing unusual.

Don’t take the cover off the meter, cutout fuses are one thing, meters you’ll get the hobnail boots treatment.
The RIGHT side of the meter is the responsibility of the property owner (as in, the 'downstream' tails) so you HAVE to take the terminal cover off to service and replace them. That's what I got told on my last assessment, anyway. From the road/pole to the cut-out is the DNO, from the cut-out to the meter is the Utility Company (recent change) and from the Right side of the meter is your own (as told to me by Western Power).

Oh, and yes, Henley blocks sound like a short term answer!

The RIGHT side of the meter is the responsibility of the property owner (as in, the 'downstream' tails) so you HAVE to take the terminal cover off to service and replace them. That's what I got told on my last assessment, anyway. From the road/pole to the cut-out is the DNO, from the cut-out to the meter is the Utility Company (recent change) and from the Right side of the meter is your own (as told to me by Western Power).

Oh, and yes, Henley blocks sound like a short term answer!
Yep. you can use a henley like a "break out box".............

It may be a recent change but with most meters the cover is one piece, one seal! I’ve just been out to look at my brand new meter, one common cover.

Hi, yep - same in this case. Looks like work of previous installer. Time for DNO isolator and service connector blocks. Thanks all round.

I'm not quite sure why they actually seal the connection plate anyway. The old mechanical meters were in two parts - the actual measuring capsule has a separate seal (fair enough) but it seems completely daft to have one sealed plate for both sets of connections. Anyway, it's almost irrelevant I guess, as once all the smart meters get installed (2018 is it?) then doubtless it'll all change again.

BTW, mentioning the smart meter changeover, does everyone know about the plan suggested by the ESC to have every property inspected (ECIR / Visual) at the same time as the meters go in? Sounds like an opportunity for the Utilty quango's to cut out the humble local sparky and install a million and one identikit 60898 boxes.....Wylex, anyone?

A call to Arms, I think.

I'm not quite sure why they actually seal the connection plate anyway. The old mechanical meters were in two parts - the actual measuring capsule has a separate seal (fair enough) but it seems completely daft to have one sealed plate for both sets of connections. Anyway, it's almost irrelevant I guess, as once all the smart meters get installed (2018 is it?) then doubtless it'll all change again.

Because on the older meters there is a sliding bar trapped by 2 set screws, loosen the set screws and slide the bar past one of the set screws, the meter then reads/see's nothing!!

I hope your not giving lessons in meter fiddling E54. One of things we were show at the EMEB collage was how some people replaced the link with a resistor. Resealing the meter was the problem but I’ve seen some ingenious ways around that.

Reply to Multiple connections to one meter in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net