Discuss multiple earths in enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hubsy

Hi Guys,

Contactor in plastic enclosure.

230v brown phase feeding contactor coil (230v) and neutral

230v grey phase through contacts.

Earth wires from both circuits are sleeved and the ends bent over.(no connection or terminals)
plastic din rail, no earth terminal. Would connecting these earths together cause any problem with future Insp and test? thinking of parallel paths.

no 400v sticker or isolate elsewhere or breaker id.

And no I didn't wire the circuit.

Hubsy

The 'brown phase' that's feeding the coil might just be brown because it's a switched live from a control point. It might be the same phase as the grey that's supplying the contacts. If you test between them when they're both live do you get 0v or 400v?

As for the earths I'd connect them together on a choc block or Wago or whatever connectors you guys use.

definitely 400 volts between live conductors.

Just wanted to check facts on the earth before I take it further.
regs do state that earths should be terminated, for testing.

Are the warning labels mandatory, as I believe, or are the just an extra.....

Just a question.
Should the grey be over sleeved with brown before/ after the contactor or both because its technically a single phase supply then.....still learnin!
.......Andy;~)

I personally would sleeve the cables brown if they are both on the same phase. If there are more than one phase in an enclosure, then I would sleeve them accordingly, or mark them as L1, L2 ect.
all cables on the same phase should be the same colour to avoid confusion!

Reply to multiple earths in enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

As the title says, I am looking for a recommendation for an enclosure and gland arrangement to electrically isolate or divorce the earth/armouring...
Replies
Views
When I joined this forum a decade or so back, there was a discussion going on about a welder that was connected with a 3-core cable to L1, L2 and...
Replies
Views
Posted this to the DIY section since I'm not a business or employee in this matter but it feels more appropriate (and might actually get...
Replies
Views
Hi all I am new to this forum and hope this is right placed and of interest. I would like to make a setup with one or more impulse relays...
Replies
Views
We have this Swiss-made Dixi horizontal borer from 1957, very nice machine still with its original DC variable voltage drive. In those days there...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock