Discuss Neff hob supplied cable in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have purchased a new Neff hob. In the box there is a length of 5 core cable. The instructions show 3 wiring methods one of which shows the black and brown joined acting as the live and blue and grey joined as neutral. The hob uses 7.7kw. In my opinion the cable looks a bit thin to be for a 32amp appliance however if it’s supplied with the hob surely it must be suitable? I unfortunately don’t know what size cable it is and it doesn’t mention anywhere in the instructions or specification pages. I will attach pictures.

Attachments

• F57B6181-1A80-4475-87FA-345F99EE4B40.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 18
I believe the correct wiring method is the middle (1N) where it goes into the hob terminal block and it will be wired into the existing hob isolator switch following the diagram attached (bottom diagram)

Attachments

• 19897F65-D1E6-44BF-8D41-63C93B1E1F6E.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 17
The supplied cable is correct as it is supplied by the manufacturer. The diagram showing the wiring arrangement for single phase and 3 phase, it depends which arrangement suits your installation.

I had the same thing last week with a neff hob. The installation method you’re using (I suspect) shows the cores doubled up. Effectively making it 5mm flex

It makes it 2x 2.5mm cables in parallel which is not the same as a 5mm cable, the 2x2.5mm in parallel will have a higher current rating.

The relationship between conductor CSA and current carrying capacity is not linear.

It makes it 2x 2.5mm cables in parallel which is not the same as a 5mm cable, the 2x2.5mm in parallel will have a higher current rating.

The relationship between conductor CSA and current carrying capacity is not linear.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that as long as the core length was the same etc, there would be very little difference in the CCC of each individual core. Effectively doubling the CCC. Not the correct phrasing saying it’s like a 5mm cable, but I had the same reasoning

These hobs are designed to run on two phase's of a three phase supply (rural EU) or just on a single phase supply as most of the UK is, hence the instructions.

I think that's probably because the manufacturer specifies in the installation instruction that the hob should be fitted by a competent electrician who would have those items available as a matter of course.

Reply to Neff hob supplied cable in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net