Discuss New build ring circuit regulations -help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

At last thanks guys for some decent answers , I don't post on hear often , only when I have a question to discuss.
im testing the property tomorrow so will find out more and will update

Also there are 5 houses similar next to each other , I will be knocking on the neighbours door and asking to briefly see there cert,just to see if,(someone mentioned in a previous post )that the Certs have just been copied and pasted.

i will be getting my regs,GN3 out and looking through them, I haven't been at work for the last week due to holiday that's why I haven't had them to hand,it's been quite an interesting experience listening to all the various answers

it seems to be difficult for everyone to understand what I was getting at but got there in the end

The thing I have noticed about new builds is that the wiring is all slapped in, all the accessories are on the wonk or bodged in, the CU's are never labelled properly if at all, oh and to top it off everuthing that's been fitted is crappy Deta.

i bet you any money nothing has been tested and the readings in the schedule that's usually hanging out the lid are just copied from another property of same or similar style.
Dont forget we are all far more likely to be coming across the badly installed ones from major developers due to the higher than average chance of faults and the one size fits nobody designs that people will always want to make changes to. Plus if its a bad job they womt call the same electricians back.

We're far less likely to see Higher spec new builds and those designed and built for a specific customer as they will have less need and more than likely stick with using the same electricians.

Out of interest how many circuits do you have and what type of CU is it? dual RCD or RCBO?

dual rcd
10 circuits
Oh and the cu is the old hager plastic cu with the grey/blue flapped lid with dimples, nice to see they are using there old stock up 2 weeks before the metal cu's have to be installed !!

we have been installing metal ones all year, otherwise as soon as jan comes the cu will not be to current standards and client will not be too happy there newly installed cu is not to current standards and before anyone says they don't have to install them till jan, yes correct,but it's good for the client if your thinking ahead don't you think!

At last thanks guys for some decent answers , I don't post on hear often , only when I have a question to discuss.
im testing the property tomorrow so will find out more and will update

Also there are 5 houses similar next to each other , I will be knocking on the neighbours door and asking to briefly see there cert,just to see if,(someone mentioned in a previous post )that the Certs have just been copied and pasted.

i will be getting my regs,GN3 out and looking through them, I haven't been at work for the last week due to holiday that's why I haven't had them to hand,it's been quite an interesting experience listening to all the various answers

it seems to be difficult for everyone to understand what I was getting at but got there in the end
I'm just curious to know why you are testing the property.
In your first post you said ' In a new build , I have noticed how the Sparks that have wired the house (4 bed 3 storey town house)'.
Are you doing a EICR or third party certifying?

As above is this for an EICR?

If this is for an EICR Dave I wouldn't be putting it down as a code.

I haven't got the regs to hand but I expect there is something in there about 'sensible arrangement of circuits taking into account demand', but again it's not going to be dangerous, just (probably (without more info)) a poor design which may (probably wont) result in unwanted tripping.

However! Saying that, there is a alot on the ring (including boiler) so it may be a bit unbalanced, so part of the ring may have a greater demand than its CCC? So if you fancy doing a very detailed EICR you could trace out the ring, checking out the demand of each section etc etc. Obviously this is over the top but you've expressed concerns, in particular about the ring design so it's up to you Dave! :)

ps.. Blast you Glenn!! keep seeing that damn teapot!! Must get around to changing it!!

Last edited:
Ive come across alot of properties where they have 2 rings, kitchen inc boiler and rest of the house. They never had any problems also i dont see the point of boiler circuit on its own if protecteced by rcd.

Ive come across alot of properties where they have 2 rings, kitchen inc boiler and rest of the house. They never had any problems also i dont see the point of boiler circuit on its own if protecteced by rcd.

Just out of curiosity as I don't ever look at ratings of boilers, what is the ratings kWh of a gas or an electric boiler. I know theirs so much variation but what's a ball park figure for each?

Maybe people put boiler on its own circuit so that its future proof in case someone wants an electric boiler maybe?

Just out of curiosity as I don't ever look at ratings of boilers, what is the ratings kWh of a gas or an electric boiler. I know theirs so much variation but what's a ball park figure for each?

Maybe people put boiler on its own circuit so that its future proof in case someone wants an electric boiler maybe?

gas boilers generally go on a 3A fuse and will not pull anywhere near that as its just for control really and electric boilers up to about 12kw.

Last edited:

Depends on the size of the property, 24 -38 kWH gas boiler, these normally i come across.

I have lots of segregation in my house.

1. living/dining room with 10x double sockets on a 32A RCBO

2, Annex (converted garage) with 8x double sockets on a 32A RCBO

3. Utilty room with 4x double sockets (powering fridge/frezer, washing machine & Gas tumble dryer) on a 32A RCBO

4. Kitchen with 6x double sockets (powering fridge, ignition for gas cooker & electric kettle, toaster etc) on a 32A RCBO

5. Bedrooms 1 & 2 with 4 double sockets in each on a 32A RCBO

6. Bedrooms 3 & 4 with 4 double sockets in each on a 32A RCBO

7. Lighting to living/dining room & kitchen 2x 5 lamp chandiliers, 2x 2 lamp wall lights 1x ceiling rose. all on a 6A RCBO

8. Lighting to Utility Room & Annex 3x ceiling roses all on a 6A RCBO

9. Bedrooms 1&2 + staircase lights on a 6A RCBO

10. Bedrooms 3&4 lights on a 6A RCBO

11. Central Heating on a 6A RCBO

12. Intruder alarm on a 6A RCBO

13 Smoke/Heat alarms on a 6A RCBO

14. Is earmarked for my garage at the far end of the garden once I decide what cable to use and how to run it and get my health back to a sufficient level to be able to do it. ... Just now there's no chucking fance.

The C.U. is a nice big Wylex and it - together with all the RCBOs - fell out of the back of a van otherwise there would have been no way on God's earth that I would have been so extravagant!

Nightmare when things, that aren't on the van, fall off ain't it ;)

Reply to New build ring circuit regulations -help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net