Discuss New sockets in workshop in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fireblade

Hi All

First post, so hope it's in the right place and I've followed all the rules...!!

Been asked to quote on a job which in the workshop of a car dealership. Job is to provide x2 new socket outlets. Original installation has numerous three phase DB's, not to mention all the steel conduit throughout the workshop for all the obvious reasons.

My thoughts are to avoid having to fit new steel conduit but to run 2.5mm 2 core SWA (utilising armour as CPC) from an existing switched double socket to a new switched FCU and then feed x2 double sockets as a radial from the new FCU again in 2.5mm SWA with the amour utilised as the CPC.

Any thoughts/comments

Cheers :)

That sounds fine to me except I'd use 3 core swa, using one of the cores as the earth.

And do you know what they're plugging into the sockets? If the 2 sockets have a limit of 13A, that might not be enough for what they're being used for

Welcome to the forum!

Would it be possible just to extend the rings in steel conduit so it's in keeping with the original installation?

as said before, prefer use 3 core, but must earth armour as well. as the cable itself does't need RCD protection, you could use 2 twin RCDsockets, thus increasing the load capacity. instead of the FCU.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum , It would be nicer in steel conduit as has been said , but SWA in 3 core with RCD protection shouldnt be a problem test existing conduit to ensure earth continuity ,Galve through box terminate SWA there connect earths ,run to sockets SWA protected by Conduit connection ,jobs a good un:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
as said before, prefer use 3 core, but must earth armour as well. as the cable itself does't need RCD protection, you could use 2 twin RCDsockets, thus increasing the load capacity. instead of the FCU.

Surely the FCU will still be needed to stop the spur being a spur off a spur. I too would use 3 core swa.

Surely the FCU will still be needed to stop the spur being a spur off a spur. I too would use 3 core swa.
don't think the OP mentioned existing circuit was a ring final. i assumed it was a radial.

in fact, we should never assume .capt. edward smith assumed the titanic was unsinkable., look where that got him.

actually, it would be logical for it to be a ring.. as a radial, unless in 6mm would be pretty useless in a garage workshop, due to the loads required.

Aren't we assuming that the sockets are going to be used for some kind of mechanical equipment and not for an office area in the corner, and therefore wouldn't need rcd protection as it's surface mounted, protected by earthed metallic sheath and being used by skilled or instructed operatives?
Unlikely, but it was unlikely the Titanic would sink.

My money's on 'ring' as well, hence "then feed x2 double sockets as a radial from the new FCU".
If it was a radial anyway there would be no need to specify - you wouldn't add a ring to a radial.

Hi Guys....

Wow, didn't expect so much feedback and so quickly - only popped downstairs for my dinner!!

Yes, it's a final ring with RCD protection.
Client is not worried about esthetics and therefore SWA will be fine.
Loading is low, hence a 13A fuse will surfice - however, I think I will hard wire in equipment to prevent some "dumb dumb" plugging goodness knows what in the future!!!

Am very keen to know why the general feeling is that 3 core SWA is a the route to go - surely earthing the amour and then having the third core as earth is beyond what is required. More than happy to take your advise but am interested as to what the rationale behind it is?

Look forward to your comments.....

Cheers

Reply to New sockets in workshop in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net