Discuss New standalone ceramic hob oven keeps tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There is no mention in the manual about the 3 meg but he did not mention this either.

It won't be stated in the operators manual, only in the service manual, the service company holds for this appliance!!

Any chance of a picture of this board? I’m in need of cheering up.
giggle2.gif

Assuming the OP is correct and there is only one neutral serving both protected and unprotected ways: I think the most likely scenario is that the person who installed or 'upgraded' the board tried to convert a non-split '15th' edition board into a '16th' split load board without buying a neutral bar conversion kit.

Well if speaking out to correct 'for providing wrong advice', is not the right thing, well I don't have words to describe much more. It usually nice to read the full post as many have done and then post appropriately like BlueToBits, and others from the posts:hurray:.
As richy3333 says, typing in bigger font is not going to change the board layout. It is what is it. Many newbie do not understand the previous layouts, are there newbies with not much knowledge. BlueToBits looks like he been 'sparking' for years and knows different scenarios.
As mentioned in the posts, I have to get a pic but the fact remains. There is 1 neutral bar coming out of the rcd on the left hand side where all the neutrals are connected, whether rcd or not protected, 1 earth bar at the top, where all the live go? (get the buzzing with responses).
there has not been any nuisance tripping before either. I never mentioned it was a new board.
The minimum 3m is in the service manual, why tell me, the wiring produces 999 as engineer already tested.

a photo is essential here. from your RCD you will have a L busbar on one side feeding the MCBs, and on the other side will be a black or blue cable going to N bar. if it's a split board, there will be 2 N bars. check where the neutrals from the other MCBs on the non RCD side go.

The minimum 3m is in the service manual, why tell me, the wiring produces 999 as engineer already tested

No idea!! you mentioned 3 meg, not me!! You say that the hob tested out under 1 meg, with just the appliance and interconnecting cable/flex, and 999 Meg on your installation wiring. So either the interconnecting cable you installed to the appliance is at fault, or your new hob appliance, (taking it, that it was tested from the Cooker control unit.)

What others have stated about RCD wiring configurations are correct, and i'm surprised this CU installation hasn't been giving nuisance tripping. To be honest with you, this whole situation is simple to get to the bottom of, in less than an hour.

can't see you getting here from china in under an hour E54. :grinningelf:

The OP sounds like he doesn't need anyone's help judging by his responses....

The way I would rule in or out the hob would to be to disconnect the hob completely. I would then connect a temp socket from the load part of the cooker switch and plug in something that demands power like a kettle. If it still trips wiring problem, if not hob problem. I agree completely that it is a neutral in the wrong bar, but if it is I guess we will never know!

Last edited:
Thanks for letting us know it was an incorrectly set out consumer unit. Perhaps an apology to those who you were rather abrupt with when they mentioned this in their posts might not go amiss ;)

Reply to New standalone ceramic hob oven keeps tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net