Discuss No sign of any earthing in newly installed kitchen... Please Help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm sorry for the OPs trouble, Feel a bit bad trying to gain some knowledge on the back of this.
Is there any logic, for cutting back the CPC.
What I mean is: is it just sheer malicious laziness and ignorance.
Is there any remote circumstance under the sun whereby someone could attempt a justification ?
I know about double insulated appliances were the earth is put it a connector for neatness if the flex has a cpc, anything else ??

I'm sorry for the OPs trouble, Feel a bit bad trying to gain some knowledge on the back of this.
Is there any logic, for cutting back the CPC.
What I mean is: is it just sheer malicious laziness and ignorance.
Is there any remote circumstance under the sun whereby someone could attempt a justification ?
I know about double insulated appliances were the earth is put it a connector for neatness if the flex has a cpc, anything else ??

Chances are the builder has done that nice little job and couldn't give a monkeys as long as the appliances operated ..

Chances are the builder has done that nice little job and couldn't give a monkeys as long as the appliances operated ..
Thanks Mate,

I see what all the guys have said. I accept it without question, this is rancid job.

In the past I’ve been guilty of being too quick to be squeamish about stuff I’ve seen. Mostly old installs. When I’ve flagged it up, its turned out I’m talking about stuff that’s fully compliant. Making myself look like a proper burke.
If I see anything like this..... I’ll know it’s totally wrong.

Hello all, again, thank you for the response! I've had a electrician in today to look at the situation and it's just as bad as it looks, and worse in some places. Looks like the whole place is going to need to be rewired and as all the walls are concrete this is going to require some creative solutions. likely going to cost in the region of 3-5000 pounds. Should be sorted by Christmas thank god!

What reasons did he give for needing the whole place rewired?

As a general rule anyone so short of work on the last couple of weeks before December that they can manage a complete rewire in time for Christmas is unlikely to be much better than the previous bloke!

If you decide to chase the floors better be careful. Had to deal with this once because they decided to chase the floors.

image.jpg

Far better to have carried out an EICR and verified what needs to be done and recommendations taken into account to be able to prepare a quotations for the work required ....

The problem is with the notification process. Unless you are installing a new circuit with a new fuse at the board, replacing the board or carrying out work within a special location containing a bath or a shower then the work doesnt have to be notified. In my experience you can be a successfully busy sparks and issue valid certs to domestic properties without ever having to be Part P registered even when building control are involved!!! I would even go as far as to say that it is now only a real requirement to be registered if your work is for social housing or new builds. But all work that involves altering a circuit should be tested and certified. The difficulty is if there is no previous documentation in relation to the existing installation then it would be difficult to confirm the work that has been done.

However, saying that from looking at the photos you have serious issues and they could be easily rectified. As stated with my fellow experts get an independent assessment. Its is fair to say that it is easy to pick faults in others work but you know that already. If I was you to expect to pay no more than £200 for a report (EICR) for the whole property if they charge a day rate or £35 per circuit/fuse at the board. These do not necessarily have to be carried out by a Part P registered electrician just a qualified/skilled person. Get at least 3 quotes and take the middle price or ask the most expensive quote to match the middle price. If you're struggling to find electricians then contact your local council or go to the NICEIC website and you'll find help there. Trading standards may be reluctant to get involved until you try to have communication with the builder to let them rectify the problem. But I can't be certain on that.

It is now Christmas Morning by 4 minutes and I have to be a responsible father and husband and end here. Although I could waffle on as this forum is my new vice. I note you live in the big smoke and with me being in the Luton area maybe able to help so ask and we'll see what occurs.

Anyway Merry Xmas

Kevin

Frankly if I visited your house and saw that I would advise to disconnect all power to the kitchen immediately, you or kids you have maybe in danger of death by electrocution. Switch off kitchen supply now and get someone in.

Reply to No sign of any earthing in newly installed kitchen... Please Help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net