Discuss Old Mem contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The introduction of DB 3 does makes things clearer.

I would say the old time switch and contactor arrangement was made redundant when a new meter was fitted and then at a later date or concurrently with the meter change a new board was put in and someone decided to use the contactor as a Henley block, in order to turn on the contactor they used (a presumably already present) FCU to power the contactor, this is probably bypassing the effects of the time clock (if the time clock is functional) but if you were to be present when the time clock is on then the board may well come on (thinking like a security light on timer with manual override) even if the FCU is off.
The contactor was doubled up to carry twice the current permissible from one set of contacts.

A good plan to remove the contactor/time clock/FCU from the system. Just replace this lot with new tails and the job is sound.
You could keep the switch fuse as an isolator since they have inconsiderately sealed the after the meter connectors.

Thanks again.

I popped in to see the set up briefly again today and there is a separate timer for the immersion, so you may well be right that the old timer is essentially defunct (although it is still ticking away).

Hopefully the immersion is on a different circuit. That would make it that bit easier to sort. Just need to get a new battery for the alarm to stop that bleating when I switch off!

Just two last questions if anyone could answer: the supply has been split between two sets of contacts, I take it each set of contacts are rated 40A so essentially 80A as split between two? Also, is the contactor/timer likely to be DNO equipment?

Definately a good idea to put UFH on E7 or the 10 hr version.

Thanks again,

Neil

Last edited:
I don't think that clock is DNO/ suppliers equipment,it would be next to the meter and cutout on the back board, can't see any provision for sealing it either. No serial number too.

I don't think that clock is DNO/ suppliers equipment,it would be next to the meter and cutout on the back board, can't see any provision for sealing it either. No serial number too.

Ooohh, is that that thin steel wire I cut to get inside it!! Good point though, no serial number or other old NEEB ID on it.

Those Sangamo if installed properly can be sealed.

Gayowl if you are ripping it out keep it. Just have a look at how much to buy new, they are nearly indestructible. They do have a permanent override latch if you suspect it's broken because it doesn't switch have a look an see if it's been engaged.

Reply to Old Mem contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net