Discuss Butchering a consumer unit Part deux in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

For the test buttons to work, then you would have to have it live with the cover off, exposing live terminals.
Lid should only be openable with a tool.
And this is where it gets interesting..... technically I'd argue that this is a commercial installation and therefore subject to a regime of testing and maintenance - by a skilled or instructed person.

The lid is screwed with hinges. I could replace with thumb turn bolts.

I would be fitting a flat plastic plate properly screwed in place to shield the everyday user from live parts.

I did think of using a complete CU inside the box, but there would still be cables with only basic insulation exposed.

The lid is screwed with hinges. I could replace with thumb turn bolts.

I would be fitting a flat plastic plate properly screwed in place to shield the everyday user from live parts.

I did think of using a complete CU inside the box, but there would still be cables with only basic insulation exposed.

Sounds a bit too much like manufacturing custom equipment to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure technically it is a good solution.

Screenshot_20210427-154919_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210427-154919_Chrome.jpg

How about replacing the isolator and fuse box with something like the above. I know proteus isn't to everyone's liking but it was the first to come up when I googled.

That is why I suggested a skeleton CU as they usually come with a large cover which if needed could be cut down to suit the application

Sounds a bit too much like manufacturing custom equipment to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure technically it is a good solution.
I agree. It's fine to screw a DIN rail into an old rewireable fuse enclosure like the one in question and fit MCBs with semi exposed live terminals, as long as the lid is secured by screws that require a tool, and it is labeled appropriately, and I have done so on a few occasions, but RCBOs, with their test buttons, means this solution can't be used.

I agree. It's fine to screw a DIN rail into an old rewireable fuse enclosure like the one in question and fit MCBs with semi exposed live terminals, as long as the lid is secured by screws that require a tool, and it is labeled appropriately, and I have done so on a few occasions, but RCBOs, with their test buttons, means this solution can't be used.
But if I make a “lid” which is screwed back.... but has a hole where the front of the rcbo’s protrude to access the test button and toggle switch.

The actual existing lid is a hinged door, which just happens to be held closed by screws at the moment.

If the right-most switch is no longer used, and the mechanical timer below it also obsolete, could you not just replace the box with the 6 rewirable fuses with a suitable DIN rail box and some RCBOs?

Space would be an issue, but you can probably take those cables in the rear of a box and the top mated to the trunking.

RCBOs, with their test buttons, means this solution can't be used.
What makes the test button on an RCD/BO any different to the trip mechanism on an MCB or even the pulling of the original ceramic fuse???

What makes the test button on an RCD/BO any different to the trip mechanism on an MCB or even the pulling of the original ceramic fuse???

Because an MCB only needs to be operated if a fault has occurred. The test button on an RCD should be operated periodically without any fault being present.

The most common tripping event, In the days of tungsten bulbs MCB would trip whenever a bulb blew, if a home owner knew that and replaced the bulb, the short circuit had been eliminated so resetting the MCB would not be against a short circuit, not reliable for all events, but.

Reply to Butchering a consumer unit Part deux in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net