Discuss On Site Card Payments by Customers -Options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Taylortwocities

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about finding a way to get electronic money from customers on site, rather than cheques (these are getting more redundant evey day)
or cash (customers never have enough of this, do they? And HMRC are looking at YOU!)

I'm often get funds transfers direct into my bank account or via Paypal.

I was looking at add on widgets/apps for iPhone using credit cards (ie chip&PIN) etc

I have found three options so far:

iZettle - but this is restricted to AMex, Mastercard and Diners. They seem to be at war with Visa, for some reason

Square - seems to be US-centric at the moment (just seen Visa have invested in Square, so that may be iZettle's problem?)

mPowa

They all have a free App & card reader but have % per transaction and other charges.

I wonder if anybody uses or has any experience with these, or other methods?

I haven't used one for taking money, but have used one for spending money.
They are very big New York and everyone seems to have a reader attached to their phone, market traders, taxi drivers, shoe cleaners, etc
1 guy I briefly spoke to about it said it was the best thing ever and had paid for itself a thousand times over

A friend of mine has got himself a proper chip&pin handset with a built in sim card. Does the same thing, but his customers didn't like putting their pin into a mobile phone! It's a pay as you go system from Worldpay. Will see him on Sat so can ask some questions if you like.

Thanks, would be interested but I'm only looking as an occassional use thing. I think the Worldpay set may be more expensive than i need/want to pay.

I agree about the PIN issue too. But its the same as at any shop. You plug your card into a 'device'.
It reads and could store your card details, then you type in your PIN - not too secure, but then my customers know that i wouldn't rip them off:devil:

We use a GPRS hand held terminal from barkley card. Pay a monthly fee and a very small percentage on ech transaction.

We tried apps, and payment gateways on phone and iPad but people were suspicious. If it says Barkley card on it it's reassuring.

I have a man on the inside if anyone wants a great deal or any more infor just ask

In theory I like internet BACS, if people pay promptly. I've had someone tell me as I'm leaving "I'll put through the transfer this afternoon", and the next week it is still not done, either they forgot or prefer to delay paying a while.

i've had a number of times people who just don't fancy paying, one excuse was "the wife doesn't let me have any real money" i asked does she let you have plastic?? the answer yes, and he was so impressed at the idea of me taking a card payment that it was all done and dusted before he realised he had paid the bill :)

I use google money, I am sure you can access it from a mobile, stick in the card details and off you go, money in your bank in 5 days. Only costs £0.14 plus 2.4%, this I normally put on top of their bill if its large enough or swallow the fee myself, this way they can also pay using their own computer - they seem to like using their computer better as they know it is secure

Reply to On Site Card Payments by Customers -Options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net