Discuss One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

May be he's switched jobs because this one didn't turn on for him or has he moved on from light duties to power away from this thread:teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

Broken tester, the Common link brown of 3-core belled out fine with my tester.. But when i put pressure on anything with the probes it belled out fine.. I pressed one down on a wall and the other on my arm and it said it was a circuit

SO the issue wasnt as simple as all put out to be, cable belled out fine BUT due to testers being broken wasnt fine therefore that was the issue

Sorry for late reply been busy

Broken tester, the Common link brown of 3-core belled out fine with my tester.. But when i put pressure on anything with the probes it belled out fine.. I pressed one down on a wall and the other on my arm and it said it was a circuit

SO the issue wasnt as simple as all put out to be, cable belled out fine BUT due to testers being broken wasnt fine therefore that was the issue

Hum....

With 3 or 4 other sparkies on hand didn't you try another tester? to see what readings they got.

Not convinced, sorry mate

Its a brand spanking new fluke one

So there was no real thought going through our heads that it was going to be anything to do with the testers

Fluke T120 Voltage & Continuity Tester Brand New

But surely if it was all connected correctly as you insisted, it would therefore be totally irrelevant wether the tester was working or not?? I'm more confused now than ever !! Lol

Not convinced either, load of rubbish in my opinion,
first year apprentice could have come up with a better lie.

I hate bullying axel and hope you don't think I'm jumping on the band wagon fella, but 100% agree with will here, it really is school boy stuff, basically the fact 4 sparks looked at this seems ridiculous, I'm almost at a loss to be honest here, 2 way switching is very very simple and a meter wouldn't be needed IMO to solve this problem, I am not trying to bully you at all but come on lets have the truth here, please just tell us what really happened.

well I hope none of the sparks who looked at this with you ever apply for a job at MDJ, god help us, fair enough then, if you say so fella.

Bottom line is how long would it have taken to remove the line and switched line, replace them with 2 short tails and set your tester to R2 and check the continuity/switches out? - me thinks no more than 15 minutes

Belling out is no replacement for checking the R2 values - especially as you could check the switches and the cable with the same test.

The only thing i can say was it was at 4:30pm when it was found and we leave at 4:00 and Dont get paid overtime.. So was all ready to leave anyway.

But like say wired so many of these, done much larger scale ones etc and never had a single issue so was bizarre to suddenly come across this with broken test leads.

You would be lucky to get someone like me ;) HA >.>

The only thing i can say was it was at 4:30pm when it was found and we leave at 4:00 and Dont get paid overtime.. So was all ready to leave anyway.

But like say wired so many of these, done much larger scale ones etc and never had a single issue so was bizarre to suddenly come across this with broken test leads.

You would be lucky to get someone like me ;) HA >.>

As I mentioned I won't tolorate any bullying myself and therefore after your explanation whether I believe it or not now bow out of the thread, I still think it is ridiculous 4 sparks couldn't sort it out but won't mock you, all the very best axel, chin up.

I'm confused how broken test leads were closed circuit, if lead damaged wouldn't it work correctly or be open circuit?? I can't see how it's possible for the damaged leads to show continuity, or have I missed something..... At least the thread title is 100% correct..one to confuse you all!! Lol

Its a brand spanking new fluke one

So there was no real thought going through our heads that it was going to be anything to do with the testers

Fluke T120 Voltage & Continuity Tester Brand New

Don't take any notice of these reprobates. They are still in Friday evening mode.......

Well done ! I had the same problem myself in the middle of an assessment. Just as well I had a spare set of leads... hint, hint and sloved the problem pdq without embarrassment I ripped them apart to find the earth lead had become disconnected.
I now have two sets of leads.....

i read it as it wasn't the test leads that were broke but one of the cores in the lighting circuit.

The test meter was registering continuity through the broken core however it wasn't continuous.

Thus broken meter, and broken circuit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

ok. I have had broken cores in a brand new cable too. Sounds unbelievable but it does happen. Bit of a head scratcher at the time but break down the circuit and test and fault found. Bit strange cable giving continuity on a broken core though. Especially as the circuit WORKED WHEN PUT ON ANOTHER SWITCH!

Dunno about you guys, but I use a Fluke T5-1000 with built in clamp meter for general belling out, voltage testing ect...

The FIRST thing I do is switch it on, and select the required function - Voltage/ current/ continuity.

The SECOND thing i do if checking for continuity is join the bloody leads together to check it works! FFS 4 sparks couldn't get that right?

What's that funny smell?

Also the t120 isn't really the best thing to be belling out with, as it screams its ---- off if you hold one tip in each hand.

Has someone let one rip in here, or is it the BS starting to pong a bit? :biggrin5:

9 pages on a poxy domestic lighting fault - awesome lol.
only 2 pages short of the epic "9.5kw shower on 6mm" thread.
anyone else feel a tad embarassed that this fault wasnt nailed within 2 pages lol.

9 pages on a poxy domestic lighting fault - awesome lol.
only 2 pages short of the epic "9.5kw shower on 6mm" thread.
anyone else feel a tad embarassed that this fault wasnt nailed within 2 pages lol.

OMG i missed the "9.5kw shower on 6mm" When was that posted??

It was 2nd fixed incorrectly and let that be the end of it

Hopefully you have learnt two things from this

1. How to 2nd fix 2 way lighting

2. Not to come on here asking how to work out a fault that was never there and become abusive when you get sussed and your pantys pulled down

I have been using fluke testers identical to that for 10yrs, never let me down once why......... Because they are used correctly

It was 2nd fixed incorrectly and let that be the end of it

Hopefully you have learnt two things from this

1. How to 2nd fix 2 way lighting

2. Not to come on here asking how to work out a fault that was never there and become abusive when you get sussed and your pantys pulled down

I have been using fluke testers identical to that for 10yrs, never let me down once why......... Because they are used correctly

I love 'em, they're bomb proof. I've seen 'em in a hellava state in toolboxes and still going strong (not mine, they're in a case and cherished!). I want to get the crock clip accessory for them.

Having trawled my way through this post, it all becomes clear. The Fluke T120 continuity tester will still buzz for high resistances. It is not broken, it is operating within its intended design specification.

fluke.JPG

The morale is use a proper tester - had the OP bothered to follow the procedure and performed the dead tests, rather than "bang testing", this thread wouldn't have existed and we, the forum members, wouldn't have collectively wasted hours reading it all and slagging each other off.

Last edited:
Right then this has now happened to me twice.. and ive not a clue whats going on so if anyone has had the same issue it would be good to see what causing it.

Anyways SO i have a 2G2W light switch upstairs and a 2G2W light switch downstairs.. I Wire them both correct.. Up have Brown from 3-core in Common, then black in L1 and grey in L2 and Live in in L1 and Live out in L2.. so where is your SL ? shouldnt it be live in/out in L1 and SL in L2 ?that controls the lights on the stairs..

Then i do exactly the same with the upstairs lights. Feed in, feed out L1 + L2 etc.. ok all simple so far..

NOW COMES THE CONFUSING BIT..

The stair lights are working fine on the 2-way wikid..wikid??
The LED spotlights in the celing dont work.. OK

SO i swap the cables, basically swapping the switch.. NOW the LED spotlights work on the 2-way but the stair lights dont..

OK so maybe the switch is broke.. Change the switch (TWICE still dosent work)..

Umm maybe i have a strapper down or something.. Bell out the strappers.. BELL OUT FINE.. ok now WHAT the hell is going on here??????? Switch is fine, strappers fine and if i move the strappers from one switch to the other it works so this proves that the Live IN to switch and the Live to the light works an that all the lamps are working..

any ideas anyone?

cheers

Having trawled my way through this post, it all becomes clear. The Fluke T120 continuity tester will still buzz for high resistances.

View attachment 15629

The morale is use a proper tester - had the OP bothered to follow the procedure and performed the dead tests, rather than "bang testing", this thread wouldn't have existed and we, the forum members, wouldn't have collectively wasted hours reading it all and slagging each other off.

It only took 127 posts, all counts though for the forum

:icon_bs::icon_bs:

I recall back in the days when I went to college they drummed into you how to choose the correct test instrument for the job in hand and understanding the specifications and limitations of various test equipment that was available. It appears now many years later when a greater emphasis is placed on testing an important section of the training is missing.

Had a problem the other day and narrowed it down to a dodgy test lead as the tester was giving erratic readings but understanding the meter and carrying out some simple tests confirmed the problem without any confusion or irrational posts on a forum. May be this just highlights the failing training that a small section of the industry appears to support with the scam systems we have giving credibility to woefully under trained operatives

I wonder how many installations have been tested with faulty instruments or test leads

Yeh quality it was and im guessing very lucky ha! OH i also put abit of that Coolant seeler you know the radweld you pour it in coolent and it blocks holes.

Did this about a month ago, this didnt sort anything, but then put Red Ex in about a week ago and it still did it for about 3 days after Red Ex then stopped doing it

I recall back in the days when I went to college they drummed into you how to choose the correct test instrument for the job in hand and understanding the specifications and limitations of various test equipment that was available. It appears now many years later when a greater emphasis is placed on testing an important section of the training is missing.

Had a problem the other day and narrowed it down to a dodgy test lead as the tester was giving erratic readings but understanding the meter and carrying out some simple tests confirmed the problem without any confusion or irrational posts on a forum. May be this just highlights the failing training that a small section of the industry appears to support with the scam systems we have giving credibility to woefully under trained operatives

I wonder how many installations have been tested with faulty instruments or test leads

I agree.

The electrical training is woefully inadequate. The employers get you up to speed in the areas that they are going to receive maximum immediate profit and the rest, such as motors, generators, switching arrangements, design, I&T get left because its too costly to give a breadth of education.

Forums like this one are a valuable source of information and should encourage trainees and those who are new to the industry to develop their skills and knowledge. However, it should also come with a health warning since those who pose curious questions are likely to get curious answers which, by the way, are often quite entertaining :) :rockon2::rockon2:

Forums like this one are a valuable source of information and should encourage trainees and those who are new to the industry to develop their skills and knowledge. However, it should also come with a health warning since those who pose curious questions are likely to get curious answers which, by the way, are often quite entertaining :) :rockon2::rockon2:

While forums may be a valuable resource to newcomers they are not a replacement for a basic breadth and understanding of core knowledge that is gained over a few years not a few weeks doing peripheral qualifications. Now it is too easy to engage keyboard rather than look up or research the answer, how would these training companies survive if they expected people to go to a library and find answers that way. I find it a bit arrogant that some posters get upset when their questions go unanswered or they don't get the answer they expect but that's the way it appears to be these days

By curious questions I assume you mean those stupid you should know the answer if your qualified questions

Reply to One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net