Discuss Part p amendment - online version in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mspms

Hi all,

after waiting along time for the amendment to show its head I have finally read it for the first time today. This like all amendments has raised a number of questions that I haven't yet managed to answer. The first being; has kitchens been taken out of the Building Regs "Special Locations" list? The way I read it it has, however it doesn't actually say so. I have spoken to my LABC today and they seem to think that "due to the wording in the amendment it appears so". Can any of you shed any light on this? I would love to know the definitive. I know that this was one area of part p that the amendment was looking at (the reducing of the type of work that is notifiable).

I have been putting off registering with a CPS whilst awaiting this amendment, I am not really any clearer whether application fee to LABC will be any cheaper or not, to that end it looks as if I will register with one anyway. To that end, does anyone have a copy of a Risk assessment for Electrical Installs, as I have found out that they (the CPS) require these as well as a H&S policy statement. Here's me wanting to reduce paperwork! Thanks guys and gals for your help.

Forgive me if I am missing something here, but is this now the only "Special Location" that Part P are interested in now?

Part P of the building regs is saying do good quality work to BS7671 and in compliance with the building regs in all cases (for domestic).
The section of Part P dealing with the requirement to notify Building control only covers the "special location" noted above and all new circuits and all CU changes (in domestic).

If you look at the diagram which is above the clip in post 4 (in the new Part P doc), Garden Electrics and Out-buildings are notifiable!

IGNORE THIS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah!
So the what hell is the difference between 'In Scope' and 'Notifiable'?

Totally confused now...hahaha!!!!!

The amount of domestic I do, I won't be notifying Manc City Council anyway!

Part P of the building regs is saying do good quality work to BS7671 and in compliance with the building regs in all cases (for domestic).
The section of Part P dealing with the requirement to notify Building control only covers the "special location" noted above and all new circuits and all CU changes (in domestic).

Oh yeah!
So the what hell is the difference between 'In Scope' and 'Notifiable'?

Totally confused now...hahaha!!!!!

The amount of domestic I do, I won't be notifying Manc City Council anyway!
Part P covers generally all "domestic" installations as described in the in scope diagram as I say in the quote above.
Notifiable works are a section of part P that says you must tell BC about these works as in the attachment in post 4.

OK...let me see if I've got this right, all domestic work has to comply to 7671 (goes without saying!) and meet a handful of various parts of the rest of Building Regs., and what is actually notifiable is on that list.

So I can go out and become an Domestic Outdoors and Out-Buildings Electrical Installer, without having to join a money grabbing scam or have any involvement with my LABC? Excellent!

OK...let me see if I've got this right, all domestic work has to comply to 7671 (goes without saying!) and meet a handful of various parts of the rest of Building Regs., and what is actually notifiable is on that list. Got it, all electrical work except exempted (very small amount, if any in domestic) must comply with the building regulations. Work in or attached to dwellings must comply with Part P of the building regulations.
Work in the list in Part P must be notified to building control.

So I can go out and become an Domestic Outdoors and Out-Buildings Electrical Installer, without having to join a money grabbing scam or have any involvement with my LABC? Excellent!
Yep so long as you do not install any new circuits!!! you are fine.
as in notes

I think you might be mixing up Part P (of the Building Regulations):

PartP.jpg

And the notification requirements (clause 12(6) of the Building Regs):

RegsC12.jpg

And the guidance documents: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

Part P applies to all inscope work not just work that is notifiable under Clause 12(6) and Part P does not say you need to comply with BS7671. The approved Doc (guidance on how to meet Part P of the Building Regs) references it as one way of complying but states that it is only one way and that BS7671 may exceed the Builds Regs requirements in some areas.

Reply to Part p amendment - online version in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net