Search the forum,

Discuss Part p renewal in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Robo

Iv got my part p up for renewal.

i do occasional commercial and industrial work and was thinking of maybe getting full scope ( approved contractor) howeve my business is only part time so if I can get away without it then I will to save the pennies?

im currently with Stroma and its £195 + VAT and £1.50 a notification

How much do Napit and Elecsa charge for part p and full scope approved contractors.

Feed back would be appreciated

Stroma remains the cheapest and if you want to remain in the postion to install, test and notifiy I'd say stay in a scheme.

As far as I can tell the 3rd party testing will come in, but if you are busy how often can you allow your reputation to be blown by a sparky being busy/late/forgetting to come and do it??

Iv got my part p up for renewal.

i do occasional commercial and industrial work and was thinking of maybe getting full scope ( approved contractor) howeve my business is only part time so if I can get away without it then I will to save the pennies?

im currently with Stroma and its £195 + VAT and £1.50 a notification

How much do Napit and Elecsa charge for part p and full scope approved contractors.

Feed back would be appreciated

Hello Robo,
It's always difficult to decide which way to drop when It comes to who to go with for a Part P scheme.
I used to be with ELECSA however as with yourself I am not doing many certificates per year and if I passed on the cost to my customers they'd all run a mile.
I've just passed my Stroma full scope and have to say I'm please with the professional assessment process I have been through to gain accreditation and with the cost which is well over £100 cheaper then the big three.
I'm also pleased I don't have to recommend worthless Part P insurance (if I my work doesn't comply with Part P what am I doing in the trade)?
I wish you luck in choosing your Part P scheme provider and with your future business.

Its deffo coming in according to IET, ECA ,ESC another scam and more money and from April the notifcations will include extra cost for warranty as from then every job you notify will be also under warranty and the customer gets no choice and neither do we for that matter

3rd party sign off
reduced notifiable jobs
more cost
and all in the name of safety YEAH RIGHT TO line there GOLDEN POCKETS MORE LIKE

Its deffo coming in according to IET, ECA ,ESC another scam and more money and from April the notifcations will include extra cost for warranty as from then every job you notify will be also under warranty and the customer gets no choice and neither do we for that matter

3rd party sign off
reduced notifiable jobs
more cost
and all in the name of safety YEAH RIGHT TO line there GOLDEN POCKETS MORE LIKE

That's where I decided after 37 years of electrical work I had to say something Brucelee & B&D i don't like the way these schemes are going.
1. To sell insurance you have to be a member of the FSA. 2. We've just seen the debarcle over PPI and the banks being fined for selling it with out consultation or knowledge of the customer. If our customers are paying for it unknowingly or compulsory , where does that leave us? Are we going to be in the dock in the future or facing claims from customers?

That's where I decided after 37 years of electrical work I had to say something Brucelee & B&D i don't like the way these schemes are going.
1. To sell insurance you have to be a member of the FSA. 2. We've just seen the debarcle over PPI and the banks being fined for selling it with out consultation or knowledge of the customer. If our customers are paying for it unknowingly or compulsory , where does that leave us? Are we going to be in the dock in the future or facing claims from customers?

Sounds just like PPI (all over again)

Its just become so different from when I first started.Back then,no schemes,no fees,no interference from anyone and only piece of test equipment a wind up Megger.

Its just become so different from when I first started.Back then,no schemes,no fees,no interference from anyone and only piece of test equipment a wind up Megger.
I agree Murdoch, I know I'm getting a bit long in the tooth but I can't remember being asked if I thought compulsory Part P insurance was a good idea by my previous scheme operator, can anyone else? Is this another example of the tail wagging the dog?

Aye Sparkdog it is a mixture of good and bad I think the idea of the schemes was good if you'd simply registered with your local council and had an assessment visit every so often to see you are doing the job (for a small fee to cover costs) Then the big business got hold of it and it turned into a scheme to strip as much money out of small electrical businesses, hopefully they'd give up leaving the way clear for the big boys to set the price and that's bad.
It was a good idea to have an update on the old wind up Megger (although they were reliable) they were hard to see in the dark!
The bad idea was to make all in one installation testers as when one facility goes belly up you lose the whole kit for repair!
All in all we have to ask is it progress???

Last edited:

Reply to Part p renewal in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net