Discuss PAT Testing code of practice 4th Edition, Sticker Jockeys in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

simonwhiteh3

Ok so Firstly I own Manchester PAT testing company and our main approach is to try to educate people on PAT testing and periodic inspection and testing. So many people I speak to even people who claim to know alot about testing seem to think is it Law and I have seen on many of my competitors sites "it is the LAW" and you need to be tested every 12 months. Lies, Lies, Lies.... With the implementation of the IEC 4th edition they say that testing should be done on a risk assessment basis and that items that are in low risk areas do not need testing as often as some other appliances in high risk areas.

We call unscrupulous opperators "sticker Jockeys" and can not abide by the way they are clearly ripping off businesses and schools etc. They need to be stopped and I believe that our service at TRAFFPAT is competitive in cost and service. And find the best way to do business in to be upfront and honest.

I am compliant to PAT test and because i hate it ....only doing it to keep customers happy i do put a routine where the workers sign in and out all tool and they self inspect them for obvious damage ...this means i can lengthen the duration between testing, i too hate seeing these companies pressuring people to have routine inspections.... its the same with other money making ventures like inspecting fire extinguishes which yes i can agree on an initial test but if you ask for a pressure gauge to be fitted then the customer can see if their is any issues of over or under pressure and only get an inspection every 5yrs or so.

Well you got a job on your hands as IEC 4th was meant to clarify things but in my view was as clear as mud also on another forum I read a post like this where the guy said I am a professional PAT tester and I am happy to help yet when I mentioned fixed appliances he said with great authority yes but these come under the fixed wiring regulations and have nothing to do with Portable Appliance Testing because they are not So when I sent him a full email explaining that this was not the case he ignored me so for me nothing has changed as even some of the "Professional" PAT tester dont have a clue and they are doing it every day

All that without a single punctuation mark. Impressive.
If your email to the guy was similarly lacking, I'm not surprised he ignored it :tongue:

Agree, though. There are some proper idiots out there, who are operating far above their competence.

Reply to PAT Testing code of practice 4th Edition, Sticker Jockeys in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net