Discuss Pat testing, why some guys become sticker jockeys in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
OK, we all have said a lot about this. Having met one recently I asked what his take home pay is. He gets a basic of £1000 and 20p for each test so to get another £1,000 he needs to do 5000 tests a month. That's before tax and NI!

So imagine working for that sort of pay for putting 5000 stickers on, never mind doing the work properly. The poor guys and girls are clearly exploited because there is so much competition.

The companies getting their equipment checked don't care as long as they can check a box for the lowest price, and people's lives are at risk.

I have often come across poor PAT reports/stickers. Called into water heater burnt out. 2.5 hofr cable into plug was part of the problem, neutral burnt out quite obvious if the 2.5 into a plug was not, still had a sticker though - PASS.

Probably a dumb question, but are these 5K per Month tests documented, probably not.
The Client/customer as you say are more interested in the Pass sticker than any documentation, just goes to show you the kind of Asset managers Companies employ these days, when I was involved as a quality assurance manager a good part of my duties were to ensure that the Asset Data Base, was kept correctly to prove to the HSE that things were as they should be.
Seems H&S has slipped recently, that is until the Brown Stuff hits the fan and questions are asked, still I suppose the client will quickly lay the blame on the facilities management people, and pass the buck, sign of the times, pay peanuts, get Monkeys to do the work. In my Opinion ISITEE come s in phases someone suddenly thinks "Oh Cripes H&S inspection, better make sure the paperwork is OK"

One manager called me back to discuss the 100 tools I had tested for him. He pulled out the folder I had made for him and pointed to the dividers in it.

He said "You have given me a complete report for each tool, made recommendations to increase the number of sockets and supply points and found a polarity cross in one of them, and all you charged me was £300".

He then showed me his previous test sheet with a line for each item, a number, a tick box for inspection, testing, condition and date, and he had no idea what each item was.

Last edited:
PAT Testing is a joke.

I remember one time filling out a load of PAT Pass stickers and just handing them to him. He was ready to be audited in 20 mins and he had forgotten about it.

I know of one company who had not got the annual pat testing done, so he sent one of the young girls on shop floor out to buy a load of stickers and went round putting them on all the items. he edited the pdf from the previous years pat testing. reckons he was going to get it done properly after the annual store audit from head office!

One manager called me back to discuss the 100 tools I had tested for him. He pulled out the folder I had made for him and pointed to the dividers in it.

He said "You have given me a complete report for each tool, made recommendations to increase the number of sockets and supply points and found a polarity cross in one of them, and all you charged me was £300".

He then showed me his previous test sheet with a line for each item, a number, a tick box for inspection, testing, condition and date, and he had no idea what each item was.
He got a good deal then.

Got:Verb, a simple past tense and past participle of get.
So should that have been He get a good deal then? not in this context it shouldn't
The statement was he had relieved good advice then, not he get good advice then, if you were to use that verb get in the past tense, then that should read, he would get good advice then wouldn't it? in the past tense.
In the present tense my statement was correct, He got good advice then, maybe got was the wrong word, received, would have been better grammatically, but hey ho none of us are budding Shakespeare's are we? and he made some right howlers of the English language, as did Wordsworth, and all the other writers and poets this wonderful country has produced, got my drift? sorry get my drift? forgot myself for a bit then.

I know of one company who had not got the annual pat testing done, so he sent one of the young girls on shop floor out to buy a load of stickers and went round putting them on all the items. he edited the pdf from the previous years pat testing. reckons he was going to get it done properly after the annual store audit from head office!

Worse than not bothering to do any ISITEE at all! Whilst ignorance is not an excuse when something bad happens, I'd rather face the consequences of being ignorant or negligent, than those for being deceptive or fraudulent.

Unusual in terms of a store with a head office structure, as typically the Property or Operations Dept. would have a company-wide regime in place.

Erm...that should be "none of us IS budding Shakespeare's, which is still wrong...none of us is a budding Shaekespeare would be best.

On an earlier point, as I am retired, and actually like PA testing, I would happily take £1000 basic, and just not bother trying to make any more...I probably wouldn't last beyond the first month though!

Erm...that should be "none of us IS budding Shakespeare's, which is still wrong...none of us is a budding Shaekespeare would be best.

On an earlier point, as I am retired, and actually like PA testing, I would happily take £1000 basic, and just not bother trying to make any more...I probably wouldn't last beyond the first month though!

You misspelled Shakespeare several times though.

Actually, only once...one was a thick-fingered typo, which, sadly, is something of which I am capable, frequently.
(Did you see what I did there?) Double safe!

when it comes to equipment safety I would rather have things done and documented properly!
Ive seen too many occasions where companies were nailed to the wall for fraudulent paperwork.

that the reason I serialize (serial numbers) documents and retain copies

What are electricians charging per item atm, i say electricians not sticker monkeys. I dont do much pat testing and when i have its been small stuff for regular customers. Have a hotel to do soon with 500 ish items, was thinking £2 /item..?

Reply to Pat testing, why some guys become sticker jockeys in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net