Discuss POE switch/cat6 help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening All
Please go easy on me as I am new to this and attempting to do this myself. šŸ˜¬

I am currently building an outhouse at the back of my garden.
The main electric wiring is all done by a qualified electrician but now opted to get a WAP in there aswell as a outdoor security camera, both will be POE, I have currently run x2 cat6 dtech cables from my main house to the outhouse, 1 cable will be for the WAP, 2nd cable will be for RJ45 socket and I have run a 3rd cable from WAP to security camera.(none is connected)
This is where I need some guidance from your kindselves!
I believe I need a POE switch, will just the one switch be enough?
How do I go about connecting the WAP and the security camera?
Will the RJ45 socket need to be connected to the POE switch or will it be OK just to run the cat6 from main sky hub router to the outhouse?
I'm sure u all have plenty of questions and I will answer as the best as I can.
Your help and guidance is much appreciated.
Thanks

Poe stands for power over Ethernet.
a Poe switch injects power to all outgoing ports that are marked Poe.
it will require a network connection to your sky hub and will then transmit the network traffic to anything connected to it and also provide power to the devices.
it might be easier to put a small poe switch in the outhouse, then you only need one network cable from there to the house and the switch will distribute power and network to all connected devices.

Poe stands for power over Ethernet.
a Poe switch injects power to all outgoing ports that are marked Poe.
it will require a network connection to your sky hub and will then transmit the network traffic to anything connected to it and also provide power to the devices.
it might be easier to put a small poe switch in the outhouse, then you only need one network cable from there to the house and the switch will distribute power and network to all connected devices.
Thanks for the reply James,
So my cable from my house to outhouse will have a POE switch and that will go Into my WAP, from my WAP to the security camera? the camera will be POE so will it work via this connection?
Sorry for the questions!
Thanks in advance

1661206645285.png

All devices will need to have there own cable back to the Poe switch, you canā€™t daisy chain them.

All devices will need to have there own cable back to the Poe switch, you canā€™t daisy chain them.
Ok James, that makes sense.
My other cable from my sky hub to the outhouse will just be a rj45 socket so I can plug the computer/device into, will this be OK?

Yes, Poe network cables and sockets are identical anyway.

Reply to POE switch/cat6 help in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net