Discuss Portable generator hookup in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

2rsq24

DIY
Reaction score
My house has a large main panel, which basically feeds several subpanels. I'd like to be able to hook a portable generator up to the main panel somehow, but given its configuration, it appears that an interlock won't work for that panel. And unfortunately, the circuits I want the generator to power are scattered among the subpanels which are located throughout the house. Wondering how I approach this.

Yeah, the more I look into this, the more I see I need an electrician. But I just want to understand how this would be accomplished. The changeover switch & inlet would be the interface between the generator and the panel -- but, I suppose that would mean I would use the generator to power the subpanel breakers, correct? And then i would have to be sure that the subpanel circuits won't exceed the capacity of the generator by manually tuning on only the breakers in the subpanel for the circuits i wish to power? Just want to make sure i understand the concept. Thx.

it’s a shame that you’re in the States as I really can’t provide specific advice but in the U.K. this kind of challenge is something that intrigued me..... my mind has gone towards RF controlled shunt trips!

In America it's easy to buy multi circuit manual transfer panel kits that fit beside your electrical panels, you route the circuits you want through the transfer panel and you can then select what circuits you want to run off the generator during a power cut. I would probably put one of these transfer switch banks by each panel that has circuits you want generator fed. Feed the transfer panels via an external generator inlet.

As far as the regulations go you'll have to ask some one more local.

In America it's easy to buy multi circuit manual transfer panel kits that fit beside your electrical panels, you route the circuits you want through the transfer panel and you can then select what circuits you want to run off the generator during a power cut. I would probably put one of these transfer switch banks by each panel that has circuits you want generator fed. Feed the transfer panels via an external generator inlet.

As far as the regulations go you'll have to ask some one more local.
Thanks -- however, if I understand correctly, that would mean that I would need a separate inlet for each subpanel, which means one generator couldn't run circuits in 2 different subpanels at the same time, correct?

I cant see why one generator inlet couldn't be wired to feed the gen input of more than one transfer panel
Yes, although that would mean running rather sizable cable to each separate subpanel, which due to the size and configuration of this house, would be a huge problem. That's why I was hoping to tap into the main panel only, and use the subpanel breakers that already feed the separate subpanels and their respective circuits

My house has a large main panel, which basically feeds several subpanels. I'd like to be able to hook a portable generator up to the main panel somehow, but given its configuration, it appears that an interlock won't work for that panel. And unfortunately, the circuits I want the generator to power are scattered among the subpanels which are located throughout the house. Wondering how I approach this.
What is the demand you want? what size genny are you proposing to use? do re you have load shedding arrangements in place? all these things require careful consideration before you try slapping a genny onto the system.

'?

Reply to Portable generator hookup in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net