Discuss Post Office Box experiment in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
So, for a bit of completely pointless fun really, does this antique looking item that was acquired entirely for novelty/aesthetics value work, what is it for, and how accurate is it?

Until very recently I had no answer to any of those questions. It caught my eye at a car boot sale and I liked it. It just sat there looking cool, then we moved house, and it went missing. Fast forwards a year or two and some of the guru's on here started to talk about using a Wheatstone bridge to accurately measure a resistance and help with underground cable faults. The penny then dropped what it was actually for. A search through boxes finally found it and I felt compelled to try it out.

Post Office Box experiment 1632432762184 - EletriciansForums.net

In a nutshell the principle is that the box has 3 variable resistors (top left, top right, and bottom three rows). The fourth resistance is the cable loop you want to measure.
When [top right] divided by [top left] = [cable loop resistance] / [bottom three rows] the voltage accross the middle will be zero.
So you effectively set the scale with the top row, 10 / 1000 in this case, and adjust the bottom three rows until you get as close to zero volts as possible.

My test was to try measure the resistance of this short bit of alarm cable:
Post Office Box experiment 1632433352415 - EletriciansForums.net

The setup goes like this:
Post Office Box experiment 1632433596234 - EletriciansForums.net

You set a value be removing pegs ( some are unfortunately missing so some holes are plugged with bolts).
A DC power supply of up to about 40v (I think) is connected to + and - . The left button connects the power, and the right button connects the measuring terminals to the middle of the bridge.

Here's a poor photo of the actual test with a 12v power supply and a voltmeter connected showing the bridge (virtually) balanced.

Post Office Box experiment 1632433879077 - EletriciansForums.net

When a 10 and a 2 were removed from the bottom three rows, the bridge was very close to zero volts. So a value of 12 ohms balances the bridge.
The top row were set on 10 ohms and 1000 ohms.
So 10/1000=X/12
Or X=10/1000 * 12 giving a final result of 0.12 ohms.

So how did it compare to a calibrated MFT?
Post Office Box experiment 1632434127022 - EletriciansForums.net

I was quite surprised, only 0.01 ohms difference. Not bad at all!
It can go back on it's shelf now and look cool again with my respect for it having increased a bit.

I was taught about these in collage in the 70s but never actually used one. I think there were a couple of slightly different designs. A varley bridge was used for power cables and a murry bridge for telecoms.

I was quite surprised, only 0.01 ohms difference. Not bad at all!

Which is only one count on the digital display and all digital displays are allowed +/- 1 count in addition to the instrument accuracy, sometimes more. So the difference might be yet smaller.

The important difference between the two measurement techniques is that a direct-reading method relies on the accuracy of the meter as well as its external scaling circuit, whereas a bridge method relies only on the bridge components themselves being accurate. Provided the meter used to detect the null is sufficiently sensitive and can be zeroed, the accuracy of its calibration is unimportant. If all the bridge resistors are wire wound using the same alloy, reliable, stable calibration can be achieved that is near independent of temperature.

Many electronic measurement systems that detect tiny changes rely on bridge measurement. Strain gauges are a good example of a resistive bridge where the deflection varies the resistance of the elements only fractionally, possibly much less than the variations due to temperature and time; but the bridge configuration allows the differential measurement to remain accurate despite the interfering factors.

Reply to Post Office Box experiment in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock