Discuss Power to garage sockets and adding light. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

finlamit

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I basically wanted to check to see if what I propose is correct.

I had an electrician come round (pre covid) to install power to my garage (Detached from house). This is the setup he used.

1. Spur off socket on ring main a short distance to a 13A switched FCU
  2. Cable from the FCU through external wall to outside junction box.
  3. From junction box through armoured cable into garage.
  4. Armoured cable into 1x 2G socket.
All works well. The garage was originally powered, but very old so all electrics were stripped out, the only thing left was a 4ft fluorescent light fitting (Cable has been taped up and left dangling), the only powered outlet is the one the electrician has recently installed.

What I want to do is connect the light fitting up (but not stick a plug on it as some people has told me to do).

My plan is to spur off the garage socket to a 5A switched FCU, which will also act as a light switch then connect the existing light to this switch. Does that seem ok?

Also, as the garage is protected by the 13A FCU (inside the house and before the first garage socket) can I have multiple sockets (and the 5A FCU) off this spur?

Thanks in advance.

M

TL;DR
I have spurred off house socket to 13A FCU, which goes to garage. My plan is to spur off the socket in the garage to a 5A switched FCU, which will also act as a light switch then connect the existing light to this switch. Does that seem ok?
Theoretically what you suggest is fine. You can add as many sockets as you like but their power consumption is limited by the 13A fuse at the fcu.

Reactions: DPG
What RCD protection is in place?

I would assume it has 30ma as the garage socket has recently been installed.

I would assume it has 30ma as the garage socket has recently been installed.

The house circuit (which it is spurred off) is protected by an RCD. Cant tell you if it is 30ma but it says 80A on it. The CU is brand new, installed same time around 4 months ago.
[automerge]1598001716[/automerge]
Theoretically what you suggest is fine. You can add as many sockets as you like but their power consumption is limited by the 13A fuse at the fcu.

There wont be any high powered devices like washing machines. The purpose of the second+ socket it so that I can have power on the other side of the garage. I will only be using one power tool at a time, with the light on obviously! :)

Thanks for confirming.

Reply to Power to garage sockets and adding light. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net