Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss prices in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's a bit like how long is a piece of string.....more details would help, what area, how many stories, number of plug points, shower details, existing earthing details, is a new CU required etc etc etc

Factors to consider: How much will the material cost? How many days will the job take? Is there parking availability? Are there likely to be variation orders (client not sure and always changes their mind). You can break the above first two further in figuring out how many days the job will take by considering factors such as: is the place furnished and occupied at the time when the rewire is to be carried out? And as for the material you have to make sure the customer knows what they're getting for their money: fans, aerial points, two way switching etc? All the best mate, just make sure you do a good job if you get the work. Huseyin

God I hate questions like these.
Listen, you can't ask such vague questions.
Here's some advice. If, as I suspect you have a job like this to price, then work out all the materials (easy bit) and then work out how long you think it will take. Break the job down into small sections to make it easier. You could for example break it down to rooms, circuits or even points. Add it altogether and allow for some profit 15% or so. If you get the job keep a running job sheet going. Record the materials used and time spent every day. When the job is finished, you may find that you either didn't allow enough time or you done it in less time than you estimated. If you didn't allow enough time, not to worry, because now you have a template to work to for future jobs and you've learned a little :smile5:

Thats as vague as the guy who asked the question! lol

how can it be vague lol its an average price for a rewire on a 4 bed semi,if the customer starts asking for extras then the price goes up...simple.and my answer speaks for itself...(i would do a rewire on a four bed house for £2600) whats vague about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's plenty vague about it.
What's average in your part of the country is not the same as mine and that's just for starters.
You can't come on here throwing figures around. No two houses are the same. It's no wonder this industry is rapidly going down the pan.

There's plenty vague about it.
What's average in your part of the country is not the same as mine and that's just for starters.
You can't come on here throwing figures around. No two houses are the same. It's no wonder this industry is rapidly going down the pan.

lol voltimax if you call me giving a simple and straight answer to a simple and straight question throwing figures around i,d love to see how complex your pricing system is.

and me giving an answer to a question is highly unlikely to send this business down the pan now is it.

My apologies Bert. I should have checked page 1 of the posts before I replied on page 2.
That said my comments about averages still stand. My comment about vagueness was aimed at the opening post, not your reply. Again, sorry.

no problem m8 and yes you are right about average prices being different in different areas but its just how much i would charge for a basic rewire .

lol voltimax if you call me giving a simple and straight answer to a simple and straight question throwing figures around i,d love to see how complex your pricing system is.

and me giving an answer to a question is highly unlikely to send this business down the pan now is it.
Be prepared for hassle at the end of the job when you ask for your money then lol, a basic rewire on a four bed semi could mean ANYTHING, the only thing certain is at the end of the job what you think it means for £2600 will be VASTLY differant from what the client THOUGHT he was getting for the same £2600!!!

Last edited:
Bert my pricing system is pretty complex actually. I use a spreadsheet that doesn't really miss much and I break things down to the smallest detail. It's too easy to miss things.
With regard to my comment on the industry going down the pan, I was merely trying to state that you giving your price to someone else and them using it could be detrimental in their area. If they take your average price as written in stone and it isn't enough (due to your average spec not being the same as theirs), then they will be doing work cheaper than everyone else due to an unrealistic price and that harms the contractors that price realistically.
At the end of the day his question can't be answered that easily, as many people besides me have already pointed out.

£2600 :smile5:

and if thats the price i quote and thats the price the customer agrees on then wheres the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bert my pricing system is pretty complex actually. I use a spreadsheet that doesn't really miss much and I break things down to the smallest detail. It's too easy to miss things.
With regard to my comment on the industry going down the pan, I was merely trying to state that you giving your price to someone else and them using it could be detrimental in their area. If they take your average price as written in stone and it isn't enough (due to your average spec not being the same as theirs), then they will be doing work cheaper than everyone else due to an unrealistic price and that harms the contractors that price realistically.
At the end of the day his question can't be answered that easily, as many people besides me have already pointed out.

that is true as ive had it done to me,and maybe i jumped in too quickly with my answer.

(could have got a job out of it though eh lol)

I think nikmet means if you quote that figure without a detailed schedule of what the customer gets exactly for that fee, then there might be trouble :smile5:

To me a basic rewire is what it says,exactly as it is all replaced with new,nothing extra and nothing less.

Means the same to me too, but you know what it's like these days. Unless you specifically state what you'll do for the price you're asking, the customer will try to pull your pants down ;)

I really wish that people would stop posting that link. Ponty, you need horse whipping :) That guide is total garbage, if you want to get a better guide then visit the building sheriff website. Even some of the prices there have to be taken with a pinch of salt, but it's a better site than whatprice, where the prices are made up.

Reply to prices in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net