Discuss Problem with computers and electricity, need help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

spikesot

Hi, I wanted to comment a problem that has caused me problems over 2 years.

The problem is that I have 3 different computers, and tried one by one, and when are connected to electricity the computer slow down for a random period of time (the slow downs or delay comes better at mornings, at nights computer normally works better) causing my mouse and keyboard delay and slow-down too, really annoying.

I tried 3 different computers and same problem on them, it happens too with Play Station 3 and XBOX 360. I studied computing and i know that this problem is not related to the computers, the only thing that can be is an electricity problem on my house, but don´t know how to solve that... maybe harmonics?.

If anyone has any solution please I would be very grateful, thank you very much.

I'm no expert, What is your broadband speed in your area? Might be heavy demand for computers in your area at the same time, hence slower speeds. I'm not too sure re your theory. You could try installing a dedicated clean circuit just for the IT equipment.

I'm no expert, What is your broadband speed in your area? Might be heavy demand for computers in your area at the same time, hence slower speeds. I'm not too sure re your theory. You could try installing a dedicated clean circuit just for the IT equipment.

I tried without connecting the Ethernet Cable (without internet) and the problem continues, so it´s not the internet conecction.

What do you mean about installing a dedicated clean circuit?

This is as above unlikely to be Electricity supply related, when was the last time you cleaned your hard-drive using your virus protection suite, and if you know any computer geeks just ask them to clear some of the unwanted junk running in the back ground.

How full is your hard drive and go online and do a free speed test with your provider to see how fast your Broadband is.

This is as above unlikely to be Electricity supply related, when was the last time you cleaned your hard-drive using your virus protection suite, and if you know any computer geeks just ask them to clear some of the unwanted junk running in the back ground.

How full is your hard drive and go online and do a free speed test with your provider to see how fast your Broadband is.

Tried with 3 different computers formatting like 4 times on each computer. Tested speed online and its ok.

Given the OP's location is Zaragoza but he doesn't narrow it down any closer by telling us which country I wouldn't like to speculate on what is causing his problems

Okey, the thing is that i tried formatting 3 or 4 times with each computer and same problem, and its not a problem related with computer cause on ps3 or xbox im having the same problem.

Try running the computer through a UPS. Might clean the mains supply.

It's already being cleaned through various PSU's in the devices, frequency fluctuations and voltage drop rise will not impact their speed. If they get bad enough the device would simply break/switch off rather than slowing down.

Okey, the thing is that i tried formatting 3 or 4 times with each computer and same problem, and its not a problem related with computer cause on ps3 or xbox im having the same problem.

Info which would have been better placed in your opening post, instead of sending us on a wild goose chase ... when you say your PS3 and XBOX are they been played online?... its all starting to sound like a slow network connection, you power supply is filtered by these computers etc to soften small variations ... larger ones will either blow your power packs or the computers will power off with low voltage.

Info which would have been better placed in your opening post, instead of sending us on a wild goose chase ... when you say your PS3 and XBOX are they been played online?... its all starting to sound like a slow network connection, you power supply is filtered by these computers etc to soften small variations ... larger ones will either blow your power packs or the computers will power off with low voltage.

If you see the opening post you will see that i wrote that. Yes, my PS3 and XBOX are connected to the Internet, but this makes no sense, its not "lag" or high ping (because the ping is ok), is about mouse, keyboard and dualshock delay when moving or shooting on any game or simillar.

Its not mains related, end of story. The SMP's in your machines are designed to work across a broad spectrum of voltage and frequency and the internal clocking speeds on the motherboards are governed by electronics far smarter than you.

Its not mains related, end of story. The SMP's in your machines are designed to work across a broad spectrum of voltage and frequency and the internal clocking speeds on the motherboards are governed by electronics far smarter than you.

Why its not mains related? i mean, its not computer problem cause i tried with 3 different ones, and it happens too on PS3 and XBOX360, and i changed my broadband company to other different since 3 months, still happening the same problem.

The circuitry works at 5 & 12V DC

Why its not mains related? i mean, its not computer problem cause i tried with 3 different ones, and it happens too on PS3 and XBOX360, and i changed my broadband company to other different since 3 months, still happening the same problem.
Your broadband company is a service provider but you still use the same line for your internet ... thats why we are saying check your actual broadband speed ... changing service provider just means you pay someone else ...they don't run new cables to your house with faster speeds unless you have been told they are independent with a new cable network.

Your response to my post last is all symptoms of slow broadband speed, really getting tired of trying to tell you this, your electricity supply cannot give these symptoms you express, I bet you are miles away from the exchange for your telephone line hence you are in a queue of anyone nearer the exchange. This may effect mouse keyboard etc because your computer is still trying to process a slow connection while you give it another command.

It like going to the bar for several drinks and waiting in the queue ... then your mate says get me some nuts too... he won't get his nuts until your turn at the bar, in reflection your computer is doing the same its processing a internet link and your adding extra onto it and expecting instant response.

Turn your internet connection of and play some pre-installed games or something and see if the lag exists while you are offline, if its only present when connected to the internet then you have most likely got a crap broadband speed, I'm avoiding the many other possibilities as you say it also effects your consoles too and if you in an online game on a slow broadband speed it will delay your reactions until its made contact and replied to your last reactions..hence you get lag effect.

Check your providers claims on broadband speed I bet it says UP TO Mbytes meaning anything from no signal to their unrealistic claims.

Because the power supplies in your computers etc will take a very broad voltage input (usually something like 90 to 250 volts) and convert to 12, 5 and 3 volts.

Whatever your electricity supply does the power supply will either maintain those voltages, turn off or explode.

Your broadband company is a service provider but you still use the same line for your internet ... thats why we are saying check your actual broadband speed ... changing service provider just means you pay someone else ...they don't run new cables to your house with faster speeds unless you have been told they are independent with a new cable network.

Your response to my post last is all symptoms of slow broadband speed, really getting tired of trying to tell you this, your electricity supply cannot give these symptoms you express, I bet you are miles away from the exchange for your telephone line hence you are in a queue of anyone nearer the exchange. This may effect mouse keyboard etc because your computer is still trying to process a slow connection while you give it another command.

It like going to the bar for several drinks and waiting in the queue ... then your mate says get me some nuts too... he won't get his nuts until your turn at the bar, in reflection your computer is doing the same its processing a internet link and your adding extra onto it and expecting instant response.

Turn your internet connection of and play some pre-installed games or something and see if the lag exists while you are offline, if its only present when connected to the internet then you have most likely got a crap broadband speed, I'm avoiding the many other possibilities as you say it also effects your consoles too and if you in an online game on a slow broadband speed it will delay your reactions until its made contact and replied to your last reactions..hence you get lag effect.

Check your providers claims on broadband speed I bet it says UP TO Mbytes meaning anything from no signal to their unrealistic claims.

Not the same specific line of Internet, now i have 50 Mbs with optical fiber and before i had adsl cables.

You are getting good advice from the previous posts. A drop in the mains voltage will not slow your computer down. Switch-mode power supplies will allow a heck of a drop in supply and still maintain their regulated DC output rails, which has been already stated are 3.3V, 5V, 12V and probably even a sub 3.3V one these days. Daz

A question no one has asked is you say they are slow using a mouse or keyboard or controller, are these wireless? Or hard wired? Also you say you have tried different computers but have you tried different mice and keyboard?

A question no one has asked is you say they are slow using a mouse or keyboard or controller, are these wireless? Or hard wired? Also you say you have tried different computers but have you tried different mice and keyboard?

Of course man, i tried with 2 different keyboards and 3 mouses, and same problem, and they´re all wired. Tried with different Monitor too.

Btw thanks for all the advice you guys are giving to me, thanks a lot.

most of the time it is because of overloaded hard drive. But you said that you tried to format it. Are you downloading torrents. Because it happens with my laptop when i some downloading is in process specially torrents. Or may be you have installed some heavy type of software.

What I don't get is you say your PS3 and Xbox are also hanging, Ive had that when network is busy, regardless of your 50Mbs if the network is loaded you may be getting bottlenecked by traffic on cables and exchange servers - contact your internet service provider and explain anything you use online is sluggish listing the devices its effecting they may be a fault in the network cabling.

Agree with darkwood. You can have the fastest broadband connection in the world, but you are still relying on the server at the other end to supply data. And it ain't just supplying data to you. Daz

What I don't get is you say your PS3 and Xbox are also hanging, Ive had that when network is busy, regardless of your 50Mbs if the network is loaded you may be getting bottlenecked by traffic on cables and exchange servers - contact your internet service provider and explain anything you use online is sluggish listing the devices its effecting they may be a fault in the network cabling.

The thing is that they installed the new cables on my house 3 months ago, when i started to use optical fiber, but before that still happening with my old ADSL cables.

Well either we have mis-information or not the whole story, either way we have all agreed that your power supply cannot be the route cause of your problems so look elsewhere and just download an Internet speed check to see what your upload and download speeds are, they are free and as long as you are weary most are legit....if connection and speed are fine then you have loads of junk on your hard-drive bogging operations down... this won't effect your games consoles in the same way this is why its all doesn't make sense. Can't help you any further so good luck.

Mind you, don't forget that American computers run faster because they're fed with 60Hz AC. Daz

it will be all the crp he has on the pc,ps3 and xbox

if you dont drag hdd and when they start getting full performence degrades.

bassically your hdd randomly saves data anywhere and a defrag moves it all together so its quicker to read/write to the drive

Reply to Problem with computers and electricity, need help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net