Discuss Problem with IR/touch light switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chef Hermes

Hi Everybody,

I have several light switches in the top floor of my flat which are the touch/IR controlled dimmer switches.
After having them for 6 months they have randomly started to turn themselves on & off. At first we thought it was a conflict from TV/Wii/AV etc, but more recently they have started to turn themselves off & o when nobody else is in the room.

I was wondering if there is a quick fix or do I need to get a 'Sparky' in?

Many thanks in advance.

OP
D

drew35

Could they be receiving an IR signal from another source/ flat? (Like when I turn my neighbours TV off when he's watching football). They may have a changeable IR code depending on make. Do you know the make?

OP
C

Chef Hermes

No, sorry don't know the make. Our flat isn't over looked, in fact we're the highest by a complete floor over everybody else

Richard Burns

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
The first thing I would is reset them and then resync the switches with the remotes, if they have variable settings as Drew says then they should reset to a different value and this may resolve the problem.
Also potentially worth looking at the remote and seeing if the buttons are stuck down a bit and may be just connecting.
I there is a loose connection in one of the switches then the sparking may be enough to trigger the switch. switch off the circuit and remove the switches from the wall and check the tightness of the connections and retighten / remove and replace, if necessary.

Other than that may need professional assistance to test circuits etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.5%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.