Discuss problem with main fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, i went to a call out a couple of weeks ago to a kabab shop. Its single phase supply. i went there and they had blown the main fuse 80amp. Iv checked all the circuits at the consumer unit with a quick ir test no problems i know this would be no problems as nothing has tripped. So i got western power to come out and put a new fuse in. I then put a clamp meter on the mains which then read 87amps.So i told them they need to have the service head upgraded to accomidate 100amp fuse or use less equipment. They agreed that they would use less equipment and save costs.
I then get a phone call last nite saying that the electrics have gone off for a bit then come back on again but nothing at the board has tripped (RCD protected). Would the main fuse over heat the contacts and go off for abit due to the load and come back on but not blow?

More than likely just a power cut in the area.
The main fuse is a piece of wire that blows when in fault conditions or overloaded, so it cant repair it's self.

yer, i see. Just seems abit of a coinsident.With nothing tripping at the consumer unit and ir test earth- live ok,loop ok and all the power going off, any ideas? its got to be the suppliers side correct?

Also check that they didn't just overload it again and get someone else to put a fresh fuse in, then contact you for you to come and sort "your" problem again !!

Are you in the West London area or Middlesex? There's been a few power cuts in that area recently.
Ask them to chuck in a free kebab for your trouble ;)

Reply to problem with main fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net