Discuss Pulling live meter tails from isolater switch in consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

right if you cannot get the DNO out which can be difficult when you need them ,then cut the fuse seals so you can give yourself safe isolation then install a double pole switch, the wylex ones most electricity suppliers use are available from TLC £18 ,then put fuse back in and seal the fuse then you can work on relocating the board with out killing yourself , oh and by the way , as we have to use safe isolation we can pull a main fuse but never the meter seals and that came from one of Scottish power 's bosses

right if you cannot get the DNO out which can be difficult when you need them ,then cut the fuse seals so you can give yourself safe isolation then install a double pole switch, the wylex ones most electricity suppliers use are available from TLC £18 ,then put fuse back in and seal the fuse then you can work on relocating the board with out killing yourself , oh and by the way , as we have to use safe isolation we can pull a main fuse but never the meter seals and that came from one of Scottish power 's bosses

Don't forget the law is slightly different in Scotland regarding this so he may be speaking of his knowledge about local regulation, in Scotland I believe you can notify or even take a short course to allow you to do your own resealing.

This is not the case for the rest of us, again as a forum we should be giving legal methods and safe methods, the OP may be competent enough to do a live swap as some have advised as but the next guy reading it for the same answers may be the one one kills himself because he has little or no electrical knowledge but it said it on here, how to do it.

Don't forget the law is slightly different in Scotland regarding this so he may be speaking of his knowledge about local regulation, in Scotland I believe you can notify or even take a short course to allow you to do your own resealing.

This is not the case for the rest of us, again as a forum we should be giving legal methods and safe methods, the OP may be competent enough to do a live swap as some have advised as but the next guy reading it for the same answers may be the one one kills himself because he has little or no electrical knowledge but it said it on here, how to do it.
no matter how much we say dont do it, some people will ignore all advice and do it.

surely its better for all to say best to get the dno out to isolate or pull the main fuse if it looks in good condition

as a last resort do such and such so its safe

no matter how much we say dont do it, some people will ignore all advice and do it.

surely its better for all to say best to get the dno out to isolate or pull the main fuse if it looks in good condition

as a last resort do such and such so its safe

Yes agree to the first part but its in the interest of the forum the advice given does not go beyond legal practice or advise unsafe practices, there's a safe practice method to do this and is the very reason why DNO often change and work live!!! but they wear the appropriate PPE too, something I'm sure the OP will not own, evident in the very fact he has asked the question, genarally in this industry of electrical work we do not get trained to work safely live but how to isolate safely so this is the advise to give.

Looking back over my apprentices of the last 5 I'd say only one would be competent and confident enough to do a live swap, the rest I would dread to think!!!

...in Scotland I believe you can notify or even take a short course to allow you to do your own resealing.

This is not the case for the rest of us...

It is for those in the area of southern England covered by SSE. Just talk to them nicely, tell them who you're registered with and they'll give you some temporary seals.

Life would be simpler if the DNO put in isolation switches they change the meters often enough so put in a switch at the same time then problem solved

Yes agree to the first part but its in the interest of the forum the advice given does not go beyond legal practice or advise unsafe practices, there's a safe practice method to do this and is the very reason why DNO often change and work live!!! but they wear the appropriate PPE too, something I'm sure the OP will not own, evident in the very fact he has asked the question, genarally in this industry of electrical work we do not get trained to work safely live but how to isolate safely so this is the advice to give.

Looking back over my apprentices of the last 5 I'd say only one would be competent and confident enough to do a live swap, the rest I would dread to think!!!

While we're on the grammAr..lol

Yes agree to the first part but its in the interest of the forum the advice given does not go beyond legal practice or advise unsafe practices, there's a safe practice method to do this and is the very reason why DNO often change and work live!!! but they wear the appropriate PPE too, something I'm sure the OP will not own, evident in the very fact he has asked the question, genarally in this industry of electrical work we do not get trained to work safely live but how to isolate safely so this is the advise to give.

Punctuation?

Freeze Punks ! This is a bad English raid !

grammar-police.jpg

;-)

we can pull a main fuse but never the meter seals and that came from one of Scottish power 's bosses
I understand that the agreement is for NICEIC Approved contractors or the SELECT equivalent, not the millions of fly by night cowboys that exist in Scotland. Years ago I had to show my local manager that I had the safety gear required.

Hi, I'm not bypassing the meter... I'm repositioning the consumer unit 3 foot up the wall. I'm a fully qualified electrician with 2330 levels 2&3, the 17th edition regs and the 2391. I just asked a question and was hoping somebody would offer a constructive answer... not accuse me if being a criminal!

There's brains here that aint been tapped! If you have all those quals then you should know the correct/safe procedure. Prove Darwin wrong...

Reply to Pulling live meter tails from isolater switch in consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net