Discuss Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just want to add I know this has been done to death, but don't think there has been a poll on it.

I've just phoned up DNO for clarification. "Oh no, you need to phone the supplier, that's their issue". So I phoned up the supplier, EDF in this case, and asked if I could pull the main fuse - "Oh, right" as if she'd never heard the request before, "give me a minute while I speak to a manager". About 2 or 3 minutes later and she returns to say "we can't say do it, only that as an electrical contractor it would be your decision whether to or not". I said "if I took the decision to cut seals and do it, would you be knocking at my door?" to which she replied "oh no, not at all. It's up to you to take the decision whether it is safe to remove the fuse, but if you have any issues with the removal just give us a call back and we'll take it from there"

Quite a useful reply that Hightower, gives the go ahead but at the same time says get in touch if you're 'scared'.

Just want to add I know this has been done to death, but don't think there has been a poll on it.

I've just phoned up DNO for clarification. "Oh no, you need to phone the supplier, that's their issue". So I phoned up the supplier, EDF in this case, and asked if I could pull the main fuse - "Oh, right" as if she'd never heard the request before, "give me a minute while I speak to a manager". About 2 or 3 minutes later and she returns to say "we can't say do it, only that as an electrical contractor it would be your decision whether to or not". I said "if I took the decision to cut seals and do it, would you be knocking at my door?" to which she replied "oh no, not at all. It's up to you to take the decision whether it is safe to remove the fuse, but if you have any issues with the removal just give us a call back and we'll take it from there"

Did you record this conversation? What proof do you have that they have said this, if they change their mind in a week or so? CYA.

No it's them being non committal. Do you think they really want to send a man with a van to 'pull' a fuse.
If you do pull it , it's your responsibility, but have you ever heard of anyone who has been prosecuted for it?

If you do pull it , it's your responsibility, but have you ever heard of anyone who has been prosecuted for it?

All I'm saying is their response to me was a little different to 'don't touch it at any cost' mentality that is traditionally linked with suppliers

Think will depend on your DNO. Mine SSE, if you are in a scheme, obtain temporary self adhesive seal from local deposit, pull their main fuse, do work, replace main fuse, apply temporary seal, inform local depot, giving them their temporary seal number. I also use same seals to reseal meter terminal cover, even if it's not SSE, get customer to ring supplier (although not technically correct). Suppliers will only speak to customer, not electrician, but given my details, customer has never had issue.
As this is not an option in your poll, I can't vote in your poll. :)

Agree with Midwest. Would be worth adding the SSE temporary seal as an option.
Although, if there's no seal in the first place, I won't necessarily add one at the end of the job.

If it's not an SSE area, I'll pull the fuse anyway (if it's safe and in good condition).

Agree with Midwest. Would be worth adding the SSE temporary seal as an option.
Although, if there's no seal in the first place, I won't necessarily add one at the end of the job.

If it's not an SSE area, I'll pull the fuse anyway (if it's safe and in good condition).

That's the crux of it to be honest.

All I'm saying is their response to me was a little different to 'don't touch it at any cost' mentality that is traditionally linked with suppliers

My side of the water always give permission if they have dealt with you before . I have never been asked to contact the supplier, unless I have hit on and they have been the supplier too.
I thought the DNO owned the cut out and the supplier started from the meter.

That's the crux of it to be honest.

My side of the water always give permission if they have dealt with you before . I have never been asked to contact the supplier, unless I have hit on and they have been the supplier too.
I thought the DNO owned the cut out and the supplier started from the meter.

That's what I thought until the DNO palmed me off to the supplier. She said they'd only send someone themselves if the install was in a dangerous condition.

Yes , I have had a few old cast ones replaced in the past.
Our area is pretty good . I have always had fast service from them, and they answer the phone quick.

I read somewhere recently, possibly niceic rag, that there a committee of the good & great considering this issue - you would think it was something new, like electricians have been doing it live since replacement CU's were invented! That said, was talking to an old colleague (not an electrician). He said he had changed his CU. and asked what I did about the main fuse conundrum. Pulled the main fuse I said, what did you do, 'I put little cardboard shrouds on the ends of the tails'........ekk!

Reply to Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net