Discuss Qualified to fix? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nowt wrong with that Moley, but a course to change a socket? stupidity. The NICEIC will be setting up courses to change plug tops next, don't laugh you never know these days.
having just disconnected and isolated a 2 gang light switch wired in alarm cable, anything can be done by someof these muppets. got to go back and cut holes to get to a junction box above ceiling (Park Home).

Thanks for the replies, even those that strayed off topic.

I am confident in my skill set and know where my limits are but the first reply;
poses the question: Who decides if I you are competent:anguished:? (now there's a can of worms)
I'm going to say you do. If you've been pat testing and have a good knowledge of the items then there's nothing stopping you fixing them. I presume we are talking about changing plugs and possibly some leads here

Matthewd29; That and the faceplates where appliances are connected to the supply rather than by a plug (fixed appliances). In the past I have corrected things like the line and neutral crossed on the load side. I occasionally come across that fault on the supply side or find an earth thats bare, so far I have resisted the urge to correct those as they're on the supply side, choosing to report it instead. It bothers me that I am leaving something potentially hazardous that I could confidently correct. Guess that's all part of knowing and keeping to my remit.

Correct me if I’m wrong but anyone can fix or repair an obvious fault on an installation.
Competency is all that is required

If you are competent to test it,
Analyse the results of the test,
If the repair is obvious to you then fix it and re test.

The important thing is the re testing to verify that it is safe for continued use.

Reply to Qualified to fix? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net