Discuss Query wiring on house purchase. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hey,

He was Niceic registered and charged £25 to check each circuit in the house.

I was a bit confused, because of what he said I assumed since he didn’t fit the installation he wouldn’t sign it off until he verified that everything was ok In terms of cable runs being routed adequately as he mentioned something about the way cables are routed can affect how they perform, which could dictate what rcbo will protect them.

So reading your reply is there 2 separate certificates that are issued EICR as you mentioned which verifies everything is in good working order, and I assume there’s a separate one that is issued to show the work has been completed by a professional to meet regulations? If so should he have issued me an eicr regardless of whether he can sign the work off?

With regards to the cooker it plugs into a cooker socket. 3 pin socket on the right that the cooker plugs into and on the left a red isolation switch. I believe the 6mm cable runs from the back of this socket to the consumer.

Hey,

He was Niceic registered and charged £25 to check each circuit in the house.

I was a bit confused, because of what he said I assumed since he didn’t fit the installation he wouldn’t sign it off until he verified that everything was ok In terms of cable runs being routed adequately as he mentioned something about the way cables are routed can affect how they perform, which could dictate what rcbo will protect them.

So reading your reply is there 2 separate certificates that are issued EICR as you mentioned which verifies everything is in good working order, and I assume there’s a separate one that is issued to show the work has been completed by a professional to meet regulations? If so should he have issued me an eicr regardless of whether he can sign the work off?

With regards to the cooker it plugs into a cooker socket. 3 pin socket on the right that the cooker plugs into and on the left a red isolation switch. I believe the 6mm cable runs from the back of this socket to the consumer.
It's been a long time since I retired, so my facts may be a bit outdated, He would complete the EICR and through his Scheme (NICEIC) who would do what is required, what is worrying me, is you saying he is coming back to lift up boards etc, he should issue you with a copy of the EICR, one copy for his records and one copy to his scheme, if you are concerned at all, then I suggest you give NICEIC help desk a call and clarify matters, after all if he is registered with them they should be able to advise, me personally, from what you say, I'm not that sure of this Guys competence.

Thanks Pete I’ll give them a ring just incase. He came highly rated on all the trusted trade sites so I thought I’d be ok. Maybe because I don’t have the cert of when the install was done he can’t issue me anything till that’s there? I don’t know, I’ll give them a call and see what they say. Thank you.

Thanks Pete I’ll give them a ring just incase. He came highly rated on all the trusted trade sites so I thought I’d be ok. Maybe because I don’t have the cert of when the install was done he can’t issue me anything till that’s there? I don’t know, I’ll give them a call and see what they say. Thank you.
Ah "trusted trader" now there is a misnomer. An EICR is what it is a condition report on the install as is, he should give you a cert. Give them a ring and take it from there

Trusted trader :eek: oh my oh my,you are definitely off to a bad start if you want to get things done satisfactory :(

The electrician looking at your installation should not be issuing you a "certificate"
The electrical installation certificate can only be issued by the installer of the wiring ;)

You need a report,its called a EICR,it should inform you and any interested parties on the condition of your installation :cool:

Unfortunately there is no requirement that restricts any person from doing that report,only that they consider themselves competent :eek:

Kinda old thread now, but how did OP get on?
Did new spark go to the effort of checking the full length of every cable?
An EICR would give enough info for him to say its 'satisfactory' and put your mind at rest. Doesn't involve pulling up floors etc.
What about the 2.5mm radials? were they 4mm radials, or 2.5mm rings?

Reply to Query wiring on house purchase. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net