Discuss Random Socket Stopped Working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

aw1993

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope this is allowed here! Please let me know if it isn't. Keep in mind I have 0 electrical knowledge.

A couple of weeks ago just 1 socket in my bedroom failed. Everything just turned off and wouldn't come back on (seemingly 0 power at all from that socket). But the other socket in my room is fine.

I unscrewed the (faceplate?) to have a quick look at the wires, they all looked in good condition and as far as I could tell, without going too near the actual wires, they all seemed screwed in nicely.

They seem to be extremely old type of fuze, which I can't even find an example of online? Other than in this video,

Any advice on what this may be would be greatly appreciated, could it possibly be a blown fuze?

Unfortunately we just aren't in a position to be able to hire an electrician, if we were we'd have had this old fuze box replaced years ago! So I'm hoping some bright-spark (pardon the pun) could maybe help me?

THANKYOU!!!

Without some basic test gear, doubt anyone can really help.

Those fuses aren't all that old, but ideally want replacing at some point as there is now safer technology about.

If it is only 1 socket not working, doubtful it's a blown fuse. However, you can pull them out an look, there will be a thin silver coloured wire inside the carrier. If unbroken it's not blown.

An electrician shouldn't cost a great deal.

Hello,

I hope this is allowed here! Please let me know if it isn't. Keep in mind I have 0 electrical knowledge.

A couple of weeks ago just 1 socket in my bedroom failed. Everything just turned off and wouldn't come back on (seemingly 0 power at all from that socket). But the other socket in my room is fine.

I unscrewed the (faceplate?) to have a quick look at the wires, they all looked in good condition and as far as I could tell, without going too near the actual wires, they all seemed screwed in nicely.

They seem to be extremely old type of fuze, which I can't even find an example of online? Other than in this video,

Any advice on what this may be would be greatly appreciated, could it possibly be a blown fuze?

Unfortunately we just aren't in a position to be able to hire an electrician, if we were we'd have had this old fuze box replaced years ago! So I'm hoping some bright-spark (pardon the pun) could maybe help me?

THANKYOU!!!
Although it could be a blown fuse, it is doubtful as most sockets are wired in a Ring or Radial circuit and contain more than just one socket, how many cables are present at the socket you have removed? it could be that the nearest socket to the one you have taken off could have a loose connection.
It's not advisable for any Forum member to tell you how to proceed, apart from being dangerous it's against Forum rule to hand out step by step advice, calling an Electrician shouldn't mean He / She will insist om a replacement Consumers unit (fuse box), although there are those that will, not many but they are about, it may well be that you do require one.
So the best and safest way out of your dilemma would be to call one out to take a look.
A member close to you may offer to help, give it a while until they all start coming home and logging on, you could be in luck, there are some kind people who are members, who may offer to help, you mentioned you have 0 experience in electrics, so in all honesty it would be foolish for you to go fiddling with something you don't understand, food luck.

Hello,

Many thanks for both of your replies.

1 - I did pull out each of the fuzes in the main box and as far as I could tell all the wires looked in tact. (If it was a fuze, wouldn't both the sockets in my room have failed)?

2 - About 2 years ago, we did have an electrician look at the main fuze box and quoted over £500 to replace it but this is out of reach for us.

3 - I will definately stop doing it myself now as I know how deadly electricity can be!!

I guess I may just have to make do without the socket.

REALLY appreciate the responses though!

Just making do without the socket is not advisable. If the cause is a broken or bad connection somewhere then this could cause overheating and/or overloading of part of the circuit.

As Pete said, get it checked out for your own safety.

Just making do without the socket is not advisable. If the cause is a broken or vad connection somewhere then this could cause overheating and/or overloading of part of the circuit.

As Pete said, get it checked out for your own safety.
Agree, beat me to it.

I see, hopefully there is a member here close to me who might be able to have a look?

I've been debating buying a 'Socket Tester', do you think this may be useful or would you skip that and just get an electrician in? (Worried now)

Even if you get a socket tester, you don't have the experience to be able to fix the fault. Put the money towards an electrician.

Should only be an hour or two for a decent electrician to at least diagnose and make sense.

Not sure of the going rates around Staffordshire, but I would expect around 100quid not far out.

Should only be an hour or two for a decent electrician to at least diagnose and make sense.

Not sure of the going rates around Staffordshire, but I would expect around 100quid not far out.

Great, you think I could find one around here? Or maybe a site like CheckATrade?

Personally I wouldn’t advise check a trade.
Others may disagree.

Better to get someone recommended to you. Ask friends and family who they have used and if they would recommend them.

Great, you think I could find one around here? Or maybe a site like CheckATrade?

There was a feature on here to view electricians local to you. However I am not sure if it is working yet since the forum upgrade @Dan.

I would see if any friends or family can recommend you one first, rather than check a trade. There are good people on that site, I also believe there are a lot of cowboys. I'ever seen or used it, that's just my opinion from what I have read from the people on here.

post your location. I cover North Staffs, as far down as Stone, or possibly Stafford if I have another job in the south of Stoke.

post your location. I cover North Staffs, as far down as Stone, or possibly Stafford if I have another job in the south of Stoke.
Although it could be a blown fuse, it is doubtful as most sockets are wired in a Ring or Radial circuit and contain more than just one socket, how many cables are present at the socket you have removed? it could be that the nearest socket to the one you have taken off could have a loose connection.
It's not advisable for any Forum member to tell you how to proceed, apart from being dangerous it's against Forum rule to hand out step by step advice, calling an Electrician shouldn't mean He / She will insist om a replacement Consumers unit (fuse box), although there are those that will, not many but they are about, it may well be that you do require one.
So the best and safest way out of your dilemma would be to call one out to take a look.
A member close to you may offer to help, give it a while until they all start coming home and logging on, you could be in luck, there are some kind people who are members, who may offer to help, you mentioned you have 0 experience in electrics, so in all honesty it would be foolish for you to go fiddling with something you don't understand, food luck.
Told you someone would offer to help if they are close to your location, you wont go wrong if Tel helps,

Great example of what a good forum is all about.

Plus, most on here can vouch for Tel being a stand up guy.

Might need to check your car has security wheel nuts though.
Might be a bit unsteady after several pints of Hobgoblin, standing up I mean.

Reply to Random Socket Stopped Working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock