Discuss Strange wiring in plug socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tedson

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all.

I just unscrewed the faceplate in order to replace the scoket and noticed that there is a red and a green wire going into the Earth terminal. Is this red wire an earth, despite the colouring? I've put it back in for now as I didn't want to mess with it.

Given the old colours, the thick dust and the fact that the previous homeowner was elderly, I'm guessing that this was wired a long time ago.

Attachments

• Socket.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 29
Looks like it is a bare cpc that has been sleeved with some stripped off red insulation.

I expect the lazy person who fitted it had run out of green sleeve in his pocket and couldn’t muster the energy to shout at the apprentice to get some more.

Looks like it is a bare cpc that has been sleeved with some stripped off red insulation.

I expect the lazy person who fitted it had run out of green sleeve in his pocket and couldn’t muster the energy to shout at the apprentice to get some more.
Ah, that makes sense. I'll just have to make sure i mark it so that it doesn't end up in the wrong place. Thanks

Even better would be to buy some green/yellow sleaving from your local hardware shop.
pull off the red (it should be a loose fit) and replace it with green / yellow.

Last edited:
I worked on a warehouse in Southall back in the 80s and all the bare cpcs had black ptfe sleeving on them. No one could be bothered to get the correct sleeving and my gaffer said just use this.

why bother with sleeving? leave it bare and put it down to a DIY job. that way your name ain't on it.
t on it.

Reply to Strange wiring in plug socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net