Discuss RCCB as main switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should this question not be on the Screwfix forum ?

You would use a MCB. But do you know why ?
I would use an MCB as I believe there would be a level of RCD protection.

Obviously not the best situation as it would take out the whole consumer unit.

I've also read the affects of having an RCBO and RCD/RCCB together.

If I'm wrong, could you please explain?

Much appreciated

Much appreciated

ideally, you'd upgrade the board to give circuit division between 2 RCDs or, better still, RCBOs. but you can only do as much as the customer is prepared to pay. in this case, a MCB for the new circuit is the most cost effective solution.

Much appreciated

Your thinking along the correct lines. We're guessing to some degree as we don't know all the details but it seems ok.....if operation is satisfactory

Can you tell bt the front on an RCD if it is time delayed??

Yes it would be an S type RCD. Also, I can't see on here what rating (ma) the Main Switch RCD is. If it is 30ma then a RCBO (30ma) in series would be rather pointless. If it was a 100ma then it may be required dependant on circuit.

It will have a 'S' in a square.

But it if this is installed this will not give your circuit appropriate RCD protection.

whole DB change is what I would recommend.
Thank you.

So if the customer would not pay for that, and it was a time delayed rccb, could a new circuit not have an rcbo so it is protected?

Thank you.

So if the customer would not pay for that, and it was a time delayed rccb, could a new circuit not have an rcbo so it is protected?

Yes you will need to RCBO it. If the main is time delayed you will achieve the required discrimination between the RCBO & the RCCB.

Your crystal ball is obviously working better than mine! I can't quite see what the earthing system is or what rating that up front RCD is.

I am going on the info I have. As in my signature. Everything I say the installer should be happy within their own mind that it is correct.

Reply to RCCB as main switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net