Discuss RCD spurs for bathrooms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

penmog

Hi,

First posting!

Have tight customer who does not want a board upgrade- no rcds. wants a new bathroom so RCD fused spur for lights/fan. Talking about towel rail so RCD fused spur off ring. Now wants underfloor heating. So 3RCD spurs ,isolators, timers and switches. It will look crap on the outside the bathroom.

Any ideas how to combine RCD cover for these 3 things. I know a board change is the best solution!

Cheers

Either as you stated if you are using existing circuits, or a small RCD/RCBO CU for the bathroom circuits. It's the only way if he won't go for a full board change.

I would offer the customer a discount on the full board change as there are other works going on, to try and persuade them it's the best course of action. By the time you have ****ed about with the other options its not gonna be much more expensive.

Sometimes its best to walk off, as a customer who has set their stall out as stingy and corner cutting can be a pain to deal with.

Problem with bathroom cu is that its a large house fed from 3 FCU from the cellar feeding 3 submains on each floor by 16mm feeds. So the bathroom is on DB3. I'D have to run at least a 10mm from the cellar lifting her nice posh floorboards. So the only option would be a change of DB3 or shed loads of RCD fused spurs.

Problem with bathroom cu is that its a large house fed from 3 FCU from the cellar feeding 3 submains on each floor by 16mm feeds. So the bathroom is on DB3. I'D have to run at least a 10mm from the cellar lifting her nice posh floorboards. So the only option would be a change of DB3 or shed loads of RCD fused spurs.

No spare ways on DB3 for either RCBOs for bathroom circuits or a feed to a small CU ?

Sounds like the type of customer where u just want to tell them to poke their job get some one else to do it. These people make our life's hard work so they can save a couple of pounds , they are gona have to pay 40 each for the rcd spurs plus labour, surely a board change aint gona be that much more expensive and more beneficial in the long run??

Its an ancient crabtree Type 1 MCBs. have asked crabtree tech. Said modern RCBO won't fit. Space a bit tight. Could squeeze new board in but will new breaker fit in old cu to feed new RCD cu?
Will price up a board change and other options. See what happens

Thanks

so... another tight arse that will spend £2-£4K on a new bathroom, but won't have a £300 CU upgrade. it's the mentality of these arseholes with friends and neighbours. not impressive enough to say " look at my nice shiny new CU". think we sould get CUs come in complete with a couple of chrome taps and tiled over.

There is bonding but at the wrong point. The gas pipe enters the house through the garage. The pipe runs through the cellar behind loads of crap. So its been bonded under MET which is 3m from its actual entry into house. Water pipe is plastic but installation pipework copper. Not bonded from the first copper joint. Bonded about 5m from plastic to DB1 Earth terminal not actual MET. He has agreed to upgrade bonding as I said won't do job otherwise.

Obviously the best solution is either a new CU or to RCD protect and existing circuit, but unless the bathroom is massive the load should be minimal and can all run off one RCD FCU. You may need to fuse down the fan because of the fun instructions but if it is all after the RCD then no problem.
Will still look a right mess but at least cheaper.
At DB3 you could just fit an external RCD and run the bathroom circuit through that and back to DB3 then you do not need any extra spaces, just enough room for the RCD.

replace the main switch in db3 that feeds the bathroom circuits for a D.P. rcd as tripping will only affect that floor.
job done
;-)

Hi,

First posting!

Have tight customer who does not want a board upgrade- no rcds. wants a new bathroom so RCD fused spur for lights/fan. Talking about towel rail so RCD fused spur off ring. Now wants underfloor heating. So 3RCD spurs ,isolators, timers and switches. It will look crap on the outside the bathroom.

Any ideas how to combine RCD cover for these 3 things. I know a board change is the best solution!

Cheers

Walk away

Reply to RCD spurs for bathrooms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net