Discuss RCDs tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shir

Good morning

Can I pick your brains please? This morning at home the RCDs on our fuse box controlling both the sockets and the lights kept tripping. We reset them and they'd hold for a while and then trip out again. I've tried turning off things I had on individually to see if I could identify what the problem was, but it just kept tripping out after a while of being on. Have you any idea what the problem might be? I know I may need to call in an electrician to sort it, but it's such a weird thing I'd like to have some idea of what the issue 'could' be before I call in someone. Am I doing the right thing going from appliance to appliance trying to find the one thats causing things to crash? (I just think it's unusual that both lights and sockets should go together).

Thanks very much

Shirley

Start with turning off all individual circuit breakers and then reset RCD. Then turn circuit breakers on one at a time. Culprits can be boilers, fridges and freezers, washing machines and irons etc.

as above. usually an appliance. also possibility of water ingress in outside lights etc., damp anywhere. immersion heater is another favourite.

What they all said Shir. but don't go messing with te wiring if you aren't qualified call a sparks in, good luck

Again, as above.
Daughter spilled her drink down back of a small bookshelf, which had a socket behind it, and took out the RCD.

As above but once you have done Sintras technique and so know the circuit (s) that are at fault then unplug everything that can be unplugged on a particular circuit or if a lighting circuit then remove all the bulbs, then try the RCD again.
If you have items hardwired into fused spurs then these could be at fault even when switched off.
If you have eliminated all the appliances then you are reduced to a circuit fault which will require an electrician to narrow down, but at least you can then point him to the particular circuits that had problems.
If it is not an appliance then for two different RCDs to be tripping I would be going for rodent damage to a section of cable where the two circuits run close together. But water ingress is more likely

To add my two pennies worth dont just switch off the appliances when you are fault searching, physically remove the plug from the socket, I had a kettle tripping the rcd last week but it was switched off at the socket but still plugged in was enough to trip, turned out it had water in the base ! Good luck Mike

Reply to RCDs tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net