Discuss relay cause flat battery? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this but want to confirm something.

I have wired up a 12v lightbar on my ATV using the attached wiring loom layout, but I have been told by some that this setup will cause the battery to drain/go flat over time due to the relay always having current flowing to it.

Is this correct? I have mixed messages from different electricians, they say it's not going to go flat quickly but if the ATV is in storage for months it may cause the battery to go flat?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• wiring.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 10
Your diagram is a "Simplification" , it needs fuses in sensible locations to be safe !
- If this is already assembled will be ok
(but always best to get any bits you need to do
checked over ..)

(With light off - does relay go clunk if fuse is removed )... If yes = Flat Battery

..if not pre-assembled you need a design to work to !
...There best not be any bare terminals on show..

Last edited:
Your diagram is a "Simplification" , it needs fuses in sensible locations to be safe !
(With light off - does relay go clunk if fuse is removed )
- If this is already assembled will be ok
..if not you need a design to work to !
...There best not be any bare terminals on show..

Hi, thanks for the reply!

This is from the back of the package of the pre-assembled wiring loom I purchased and installed.

If I remove the fuse there is no sound to be heard, I do hear it clunk when i turn the switch on / off tho

Last edited:
As I mentioned ,about inspecting work .
People are interested in making sure the correct techniques are used for any connections you have made . (due to risk of fire)
The art of "Fitting" also looks out for safe routes
where wires will come to no mechanical /heat harm.

As I mentioned ,about inspecting work .
People are interested in making sure the correct techniques are used for any connections you have made . (due to risk of fire)
The art of "Fitting" also looks out for safe routes
where wires will come to no mechanical /heat harm.

Hi, I feed the wires along the same path as the ignition wires, safe from all mechanical and heat sources, there is no exposed terminals or connectors.

Hi,how big is the light-bar,in watts?

This,and the size of any fuses,wiring and battery,will be the more important issue.

Your battery will be more likely to go flat,if the charging system,cannot keep up with the demand,or has sufficient time,to re-charge the power source.

Hi,how big is the light-bar,in watts?

This,and the size of any fuses,wiring and battery,will be the more important issue.

Your battery will be more likely to go flat,if the charging system,cannot keep up with the demand,or has sufficient time,to re-charge the power source.

It's a small 30W LED light bar.

I should of been more clear, the problem I am told is that when the bike is off and in storage and the light bar is also off at the switch that it will drain the battery over time even tho I have it switched off because the relay is still energized somewhat as its source is connected straight to the battery rather than through the ignition and the switch is not between the relay and the source.

Last edited:
It's a small 30W LED light bar.

I should of been more clear, the problem I am told is that when the bike is off and in storage and the light bar is also off at the switch that it will drain the battery over time even tho I have it switched off because the relay is still energized somewhat as its source is connected straight to the battery rather than through the ignition and the switch is not between the relay and the source.

Ah,30 watts is no problem. For the relay to draw current,when off,it would have to be wired to the N/C contacts....not correct.
If wired normally,to the N/O contacts,it will be no problem.

There will will some battery depletion,when parked up,possibly increased if there are minor draws from the machine. A battery isolator or dropping off a terminal,will save some of this.

What is the ATV,out of noseyness?;)

Thanks for the reply. There is a fuse between the battery and the relay, I was thinking I could just pop that out if required.

ATV is a Suzuki z90, mainly for my kids. Won't be ridden often

Reply to relay cause flat battery? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net