Discuss Removing wall lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gfm198

I'm removing wall lights.

Is it safe to wire to connector block and place in the wall cavity?

Also any thing special I have to do when changing the light switch from two switches to just the one?

Thanks

The options are:
Remove cable completely
Terminate cables to a chocblock (but then you MUST chop in a backbox and use a blanking plate - bit unsightly in the middle of the wall)
Disconnect the leg of the circuit that supplies the lights, leaving cables in place with ends terminated (this is a last resort)

There's more to electrics than just curling the cable up inside the wall and forgetting it. Think about your family's safety (shock risk, fire risk). Any of the above jobs need to be done by an electrician.

So does the blanking plate make it safer? or does it simply make people aware that there are cables there?

The options are:
Remove cable completely
Terminate cables to a chocblock (but then you MUST chop in a backbox and use a blanking plate - bit unsightly in the middle of the wall)
Disconnect the leg of the circuit that supplies the lights, leaving cables in place with ends terminated (this is a last resort)

There's more to electrics than just curling the cable up inside the wall and forgetting it. Think about your family's safety (shock risk, fire risk). Any of the above jobs need to be done by an electrician.

Both really! It forms an enclosure for the connections. And makes people aware of the safe zones from the blank plate where there could be cables....
Best give an electrician a call if your not sure.

i would say that it's only about 1 hour's work, including replacing the switch. cost for a spark to come out and do it safely would be between £40 and £50. not worth taking chances. if you post your location, sure 1 of us is close to you.

Problem is i dont want blanking plates showing on the wall, would look terrible.

Upstairs has laminate flooring which has the skirting on top of the laminate, so ripping this up would be painful to so the least.

Was hoping I could just remove wall lights, place wires in connector box and apply insulation tape to it and bury in the wall and forget about. Of course not completely. Cant see that this would be a fire hazard at all.

Problem is i dont want blanking plates showing on the wall, would look terrible.

Upstairs has laminate flooring which has the skirting on top of the laminate, so ripping this up would be painful to so the least.

Was hoping I could just remove wall lights, place wires in connector box and apply insulation tape to it and bury in the wall and forget about. Of course not completely. Cant see that this would be a fire hazard at all.

Very, very poor practice, and not compliant with the regs. It is dangerous simply because the next house owner decides to drill into the wall and has no idea there is a live cable sitting there. And maybe dies. Or Hits the cable just enough to damage it and then you have a very real fire risk. But, it's your house!

I bet that's what a lot of electricians would do though??? ;-)

I'm removing wall lights.

Is it safe to wire to connector block and place in the wall cavity?

Also any thing special I have to do when changing the light switch from two switches to just the one?

Thanks

All the above replies sound like solid advice to keeping safe. Why risk a fire or electrocution when a spark can do the job for you at around £50? Very BAD practice to leave live wires terminated in a wall without any warning to others Very Bad! It's your house but other peoples lives. Just think if something did happen who would a court hold responsible? There are a lot of people locked away for wilful neglegence. Don't take that risk. Let a qualified spark do the job and have peace of mind.

No offense, but it seems that you've asked for advice but are unwilling to accept it. You can't steer any decent spark worth is salt to give you his blessing to carry out dangerous DIY work.

as long as the feed to the cables can be found and isolated then the "dead" cables can be cut off and plastered over. the feed may be from another light or the switch. ssssimplesss.

Actually my questions have not been answered!

I asked if it was safe for me not for potential new buyers of my house.

Also qustion about switch not answered!!

No offense, but it seems that you've asked for advice but are unwilling to accept it. You can't steer any decent spark worth is salt to give you his blessing to carry out dangerous DIY work.

i think your question has neen answered several times. DO NOT LEAVE LIVE CABLES PLASTERED IN A WALL WHERE NOBODY KNOWS THEY'RE THERE.

Very, very poor practice, and not compliant with the regs. It is dangerous simply because the next house owner decides to drill into the wall and has no idea there is a live cable sitting there. And maybe dies. Or Hits the cable just enough to damage it and then you have a very real fire risk. But, it's your house!

Poor practice yes, but its going to end up being a DIY lash up in the end anyhow.

And THAT statement tells me that you definitely know absolutely nothing about electrical work and should leave well alone !!!

Reply to Removing wall lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net