Discuss Replace rcd without replacing whole CU? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Stamps44

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, could I ask for a second opinion please?

My RCD failed routine 6 monthly testing using the test button. I'd like to get it replaced, and spoke to an electrician who said that he couldn't replace it without replacing the whole consumer unit because it didn't meet the the latest regs. It seems counterintuitive that the regs would stop a safety device being replaced. Are there any other interpretations please? Thanks!

Photo of the Wylex RCD attached.
IMG_20220414_124053_01.jpg

Assuming that a Wylex RCD that fits is still available.
The Hager RCBO alongside it is another matter altogether, although it appears to fit OK.

Assuming that a Wylex RCD that fits is still available.
The Hager RCBO alongside it is another matter altogether, although it appears to fit OK.
Thanks, interesting. That was installed with the solar pv addition about 8 years ago, and it was only when I was looking at it today that I realised I don't know what it does or whether I should be testing that too.

Last edited:
Firstly may I congratulate you on being the only householder who has EVER tested their RCD at 3 or 6 monthly intervals. Your award is on its way 😀

It may be worth out of interest trying the test button again with all the affected circuits (to the left here) in the off position, to see if it does correctly function then.

An electrician would also test it using a proper tester, and it may well pass under those circumstances, although it should still be replaced if the test button is not functioning.

Because it involves replacing protection for several circuits, the electrician doing it may want to satisfy him/herself that there are no significant issues that would prevent the work being carried out, so it may involve some testing in addition to just physically swapping things, but there is no reason why the entire installation would need to be upgraded to existing regulations in order to do so.

The only issue I foresee maybe whether the latest Wylex equivalent is a direct fit for the busbar that is fitted in that board. In my experience, NSBs with the fixed bar that uses the front slot work fine with the newer models of breaker, but not when a more normal busbar is used.

I don't know if the same applies to their RCDs - the modern equivalent (still available) is the WRDS80/2.

I would persevere and try other electricians and you may well have better luck than your first effort.

Reply to Replace rcd without replacing whole CU? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net