Discuss Rewire - smoke/heat circuit & immersion tank circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So what do you guys do with the smoke/heat alarm circuit? Do you put them on their own or with the lighting?
I would of thought if it is put on its own and it trips people wont even bother to fix it. Also if it did trip they wouldn't realise till the battery goes low and starts beeping...

Also, the customer has got an existing immersion tank and will be getting a combi boiler put in, I can follow wiring diagrams for boiler wiring pretty simple, but have never done an immersion tank before even though after looking at a few videos I have some sort of idea. However, if the immersion is being used as a back up... can it just be put on a spur. Please let me know your ideas. What would you do? Can anyone point me in a direction for CORRECT wiring diagram examples...

I know I've been posting a lot sorry, got to get this quote to them by tomorrow morning.

Smoke alarms always wired same breaker as a lighting circuit.
Immersion heaters draw around 12A, so in most circumstances a 16A breaker in the CU, 2.5mm2 T&E to a 20A isolator switch with neon near the cylinder, then HR 1.5mm2 flex to the immersion heater.
Connecting it off of a RFC via a fused spur wouldn't break ant regs as such, but would be considered bad practice.
I have see immersion heaters that are genuinely only wanted as a back up for boiler failure fitted with a long enough HR flex to reach the nearest s/socket, a 13A plug attached, and then the cable coiled up by the cylinder.
If the customer is fitting a combi boiler, then the HW cylinder is normally removed completely, along with its immersion heater.

Immersion heaters draw around 12A, so in most circumstances a 16A breaker in the CU, 2.5mm2 T&E to a 20A isolator switch with neon near the cylinder, then HR 1.5mm2 flex to the immersion heater.
Connecting it off of a RFC via a fused spur wouldn't break ant regs as such, but would be considered bad practice.
I have see immersion heaters that are genuinely only wanted as a back up for boiler failure fitted with a long enough HR flex to reach the nearest s/socket, a 13A plug attached, and then the cable coiled up by the cylinder.
If the customer is fitting a combi boiler, then the HW cylinder is normally removed completely, along with its immersion heater.
sorry I understood it all apart from RFC? what is that? Thanks for your help

BS
With regard to the smoke detection this is incorrect. BS5839:6 does not state this at all, whilst yes you can use a lighting circuit it is also acceptable to use their own independent circuit.

BS

With regard to the smoke detection this is incorrect. BS5839:6 does not state this at all, whilst yes you can use a lighting circuit it is also acceptable to use their own independent circuit.
Why BS? British standard or bull? How would you do the immersion if it was a back up? Would spurs be fine? 1 spur for each element? or 1 for both?

What would you do for the smoke/heat? I would think it makes more sense to put it on the lighting circuit...

British standard or bull, not really sure the meaning of this.
You now have three threads running on this theme so may I suggest you either look for assistance from a competent person and use it as a learning curve or walk away because it is clearly outside your current knowledge base.

Last edited:
British standard or bull, not really sure the meaning of this.
You now have three threads running on this theme so may I suggest you either look for assistance from a competent person and use it as a learning curve or walk away because it is clearly outside your current knowledge base.
Wow how ignorant you are. Sorry for trying to get some advice? Not sorry! If you did read one of my threads it says I am newly qualified, so some stuff I lack knowledge in but I am trying to gain the knowledge from other electricians as well as doing my own research and using my own initiative. And the bull.. --------. Was you saying british standard or --------?

Wow how ignorant you are. Sorry for trying to get some advice? Not sorry! If you did read one of my threads it says I am newly qualified, so some stuff I lack knowledge in but I am trying to gain the knowledge from other electricians as well as doing my own research and using my own initiative. And the bull.. --------. Was you saying british standard or --------?
Exactly you are newly qualified and attempting something clearly beyond your current skill set. My post suggests you look for assistance and use this as a learning curve as opposed to using an internet forum.

Exactly you are newly qualified and attempting something clearly beyond your current skill set. My post suggests you look for assistance and use this as a learning curve as opposed to using an internet forum.
So because I haven't done a immersion circuit before it is beyond my skill set? There is a first time for everything, maybe my first time is learning from people off electriciansforums and a bit of youtube. You are saying it as if I am a cowboy builder asking for the black and white wiring diagram for quick change. I am trying to learn. And the smokes I already know about, I am asking to see what people think about the idea of putting it on a lighting circuit. No need for your negativity. If you are going to be negative at least add some useful information for me to read. I am getting assistance from the tester also. It is 11pm on a friday, why can you not look at the positive side of things that I am trying to learn rather ----ing about.

The 'regs' allow a smoke alarm to be on its own circuit, or to share with another circuit, but if it's on its own circuit, the first time it gives a false alarm, it will be turned off and remain off. The same reason as to why I always wire at least one bathroom light through the fan isolator.

Reply to Rewire - smoke/heat circuit & immersion tank circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net