Discuss running wire under drive way to garage for sub panel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NCC74656

DIY
Reaction score
2ga is what i think i need for the runs. ill have 220v out there so ill do 3 runs for hot/hot/neutral and then ground. reading the current code it seems i need grounding rods out there as well as a dedicated ground from house to garage? is that right?

can i sleeve cables for wire color change? so i could buy this 500' spool and cut it into 4 110' sections and just change its color to save some money? 2 AWG XHHW-2 Aluminum Building Wire, 500ft or 1000ft Spool - https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/2-awg-xhhw-2-aluminum-building-wire-500ft-or-1000ft-spool?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrJOMBhCZARIsAGEd4VE1RjgmSRdYqsF3EAZIBef3jsqmOBQCXFBQVXl35dHAzZgye7LdgzcaAmLPEALw_wcB

2ga is what i think i need for the runs. ill have 220v out there so ill do 3 runs for hot/hot/neutral and then ground. reading the current code it seems i need grounding rods out there as well as a dedicated ground from house to garage? is that right?

can i sleeve cables for wire color change? so i could buy this 500' spool and cut it into 4 110' sections and just change its color to save some money? 2 AWG XHHW-2 Aluminum Building Wire, 500ft or 1000ft Spool - https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/2-awg-xhhw-2-aluminum-building-wire-500ft-or-1000ft-spool?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrJOMBhCZARIsAGEd4VE1RjgmSRdYqsF3EAZIBef3jsqmOBQCXFBQVXl35dHAzZgye7LdgzcaAmLPEALw_wcB

You are not required to drive a Ground rod at you garage, that’s why you pull an equipment ground. Remember that everything in the garage needs to be GFCI protected

You are not required to drive a Ground rod at you garage, that’s why you pull an equipment ground. Remember that everything in the garage needs to be GFCI protected
So can I get a master GFCI breaker of some kind to go at the panel rather than buying all GFCI Outlets?

I read in the 2020 book that for a separate building when running wire to a subpanel that you needed to have separate lightning grounding rods. Is that not the case?

So can I get a master GFCI breaker of some kind to go at the panel rather than buying all GFCI Outlets?

I read in the 2020 book that for a separate building when running wire to a subpanel that you needed to have separate lightning grounding rods. Is that not the case?
Not that I’m aware of no ground rods and yes a GFCI double pole breaker would probably work better for you

just looked up gfci breakers does 150.00 for a single double pole 20A sound right?!? that seems crazy high to me given a normal breaker is like 12.00
Anything you do it still needs to be GFCI protected. That price you gave me is normal. What bran of panel do you have, and could you take a picture of the inside of your panel. If it’s GE I have a lot of GE- GFCI breakers.

Here's a picture of the Siemens panel in the garage

Attachments

• 20211102_202354.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 4

Reply to running wire under drive way to garage for sub panel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net