Discuss scaffold lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
Hi

I have to look at a job to install temporary lighting to a scaffold. Apart from the obvious ie. 110volt, weather proof bulkheads is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks in advance

Hi

I have to look at a job to install temporary lighting to a scaffold. Apart from the obvious ie. 110volt, weather proof bulkheads is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks in advance

In my experiance put them up out of reach to stop vandals and if you have any scaffold crossovers/gantrys you may need general lighting as well

Whilst you'll probably want them to be 110V for other reasons, remember that they don't HAVE to be if they're run from an RCD - 704.410.3.10 (ii). You'll also want to earth the scaffold itself.

Whilst you'll probably want them to be 110V for other reasons, remember that they don't HAVE to be if they're run from an RCD - 704.410.3.10 (ii). You'll also want to earth the scaffold itself.

Maybe i am not reading it correct but hey its good to discuss, 704.410.3.10 A circuit supplying a SOCKET OUTLET with a rated current upto and includding 32a and any other circuit supplying HANDHELD EQUIPMENT

i would see scaffold lighting as fixed equipment?

just a thought

110v flourys as said already be mindfull of crossings Loading bays ect where additional lighting may be required Vandals are an obvious thing Check with main contractor re scaffold moves might mean more cable but may also save you getting called everytime they move a bit with a cable on due to scaffolders inability to undo or cut tywraps without ripping the cable ends from fittings first
also bear in mind the test and inspection 3monthly as this is classed as temporary installation even if its going to be up for 10 years

Maybe i am not reading it correct but hey its good to discuss, 704.410.3.10 A circuit supplying a SOCKET OUTLET with a rated current upto and includding 32a and any other circuit supplying HANDHELD EQUIPMENT

i would see scaffold lighting as fixed equipment?

just a thought

There's nothing really in section 704 that talks specifically about fixed equipment, so I've always worked on the basis that if it's connected via a plug/socket arrangement (as per the vast majority of onsite kit) then it's best classed as a socket outlet - as it is, isn't it?

But, in fairness Note 1. to the reg does go on to say that reduced low voltage is the preferred option for local lighting up to 2kW.

There's nothing really in section 704 that talks specifically about fixed equipment, so I've always worked on the basis that if it's connected via a plug/socket arrangement (as per the vast majority of onsite kit) then it's best classed as a socket outlet - as it is, isn't it?

But, in fairness Note 1. to the reg does go on to say that reduced low voltage is the preferred option for local lighting up to 2kW.

Totally with you i always back everything up with RCD as due course i was just questioning the regs wording,

Totally with you i always back everything up with RCD as due course i was just questioning the regs wording,

Where would you like to start picking the 464 pages apart from? We'll need a VERY large pot of coffee, some provisions and a barrel of beer. And probably a masseuse for after.

Hi

Thanks in advance

On many larger sites, there is a requirement for emergency lighting to scaffolds and walkways, may not be relevant here but worth thinking about.

One requirement when I wired lights on scaffolds was that the bulkheads at either end were red while the bulkheads in between were white. All wires cable tied to the under side of the tube. All RCD protected.

If the two halves of the scaffolding are separated by wooden panels, you can use the front scaffold poles as the live, then the back as the neutral/earth.

Saves a lot of wire.

emergencys would be worth a look DONT put the cables through scaff poles iv seen this done numerous times

there is 110v led ropelighting on the market we "trialed " it on a big project as they were looking for the greenest stuff it was ok for scaffold and great for stairs but not much cop in open areas as the LEDs werent bright enough

emergencys would be worth a look DONT put the cables through scaff poles iv seen this done numerous times

there is 110v led ropelighting on the market we "trialed " it on a big project as they were looking for the greenest stuff it was ok for scaffold and great for stairs but not much cop in open areas as the LEDs werent bright enough

Saw the same thing in the local wholesalers and looked like they would be alright for the back of the van, lol

Great for the back of van cept they were 110v :( iv got a couple of the " boy racer" style in the rear on to the normal lighting

Reply to scaffold lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net