Discuss Self-isolating? ... time to upgrade knowledge... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

PEG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello,during the present and future downtime,folk may be experiencing,it is worth noting,that it presents an opportunity,to investigate some skill gaps,we may not usually have chance to fill.

It could be business related,or otherwise,and not limited to the keypad....in the past,i have explored many topics,from trade related stuff,to diamond cleaving or knot tying ;)

There is usually,some post or other regarding pricing,customer info,business ethics,etc,and i have posted on such matters,in the past. It is generally a personal formulae,or spread of ideas,from varied members,old and young,and i always get the impression,a couple of posts,never really gets across, at least my understanding,of explaining my thoughts.

The other evening,i was passing the time,viewing a dude on youtube,called Robin Clevett. I have followed his videos for years,and he is a very capable,joiner and craftsman,with some cracking demonstration pieces.

He has teamed up with Roger Bisby,from Skills Builder,and done a series of similar vids,usual format,some good,some samey...

Anywho....there is one,Podcast#1 Quoting jobs and Price conditioning,which caught my attention,where they ramble on,in a pub,i think,about running a sole trader operation,and all the associated issues.

It is lengthy,and you would need to have that time spare...but what they both come up with ,encapsulates some of what i have tried to get across,during the many similar debates,here.

It won't be everbodies cup of tea,but,there is a lot of experience being drawn on,and some golden truths. The thinking,applies equally to many skilled trades,and is worth hearing.

When the current,nations trials,subside...and it will,there are going to be many failed and struggling outfits,who are going to have to hit the ground running. The ability to be ready for that,will separate the runners from the fallers :)

As a carpenter Robin Clevett is up there with Norm Abraham for me his work is impeccable, have also watched him for a while now and never get bored.....

Was Norm the one on 'This old house'? That was one of the first programs I used to watch on Sky years and years ago. Excellent.

Was Norm the one on 'This old house'? That was one of the first programs I used to watch on Sky years and years ago. Excellent.
Yes mate but to see him at his best watch New Yankee workshop....hundreds of episodes for these long days to keep ya busy! ?

Yes mate but to see him at his best watch New Yankee workshop....hundreds of episodes for these long days to keep ya busy! ?

Ah yes. I'd forgot all about that one! I'll see if the mrs will let me watch some :)

I intend to prybar my youngest,off Fortnite :oops: and show him how to set out and cut,a scarf joint,drawn with folding wedges,in some spare 8"x2"....

....I anticipate some sighing and tutting....?

I intend to prybar my youngest,off Fortnite :oops: and show him how to set out and cut,a scarf joint,drawn with folding wedges,in some spare 8"x2"....

Get a computer game based on it and he'll probably be all for it :)

I have a 7 & 8 yr old boys....good luck with that peg.....?.....I reckon the scarf joint will be easier than removing firtnite!

Last edited:
Yep,the mentoring of youngsters,is a rewarding,if not trying,experience ;)

I can remember my pals grandad,instructing me,in the arts of brush/barrow/shovel...mixing concrete by hand,and soldering...

It was 10 to 30 years later,having handed out similar instruction to many,that i realised the true value of that mentoring.

I generally was up for having a go at any new skill,but the one i regret i dodged,was my great aunt's baking tutorials:rolleyes:

She worked at a large,Jewish care home,and was a trained pastry chef...cold hands,apparently...her mince pies and Christmas cakes,were the stuff of legend...no recipe books in sight...Rayburn oven...should have got involved,instead of messing about,trying to get more revs,from her Suffolk Punch mower ?

I can remember my pals grandad,instructing me,in the arts of brush/barrow/shovel...mixing concrete by hand,and soldering.
My first introduction into painful monotonous work was at eight years old. It was lapping the valves of an old side valve head from an old Ford van belonging to my Dad. In the day a van picked him up along with other workers, but as most of them lived in outlying areas the pick up time put another hour each way to the journey, added to an already 12 hour shift.
The blisters soon healed up. ;)

I can remember my pals grandad,instructing me,in the arts of brush/barrow/shovel...mixing concrete by hand,and soldering...

It was 10 to 30 years later,having handed out similar instruction to many,that i realised the true value of that mentoring.

I generally was up for having a go at any new skill,but the one i regret i dodged,was my great aunt's baking tutorials:rolleyes:

She worked at a large,Jewish care home,and was a trained pastry chef...cold hands,apparently...her mince pies and Christmas cakes,were the stuff of legend...no recipe books in sight...Rayburn oven...should have got involved,instead of messing about,trying to get more revs,from her Suffolk Punch mower ?
My dad was a mechanic so I learnt how to take cars apart and rebuild them from about 5 years old, rebuilt an engine when I was 11. Got to learn lots of other practical things like plumbing, laying concrete, DIY from him as well
At secondary school a couple of the domestic science teachers started an after school cookery club for the lads, so for a couple of hours on a Monday we learnt to cook various meals, cakes and desserts in fact I was thinking of possibly becoming a chef back then but my other choice was electrician and that won, the problem now is I don't get that much time for cooking

A few years ago I was doing some jobs at my brother's day nursery and spent a couple of days teaching his nephew to solder the new pipework I was installing and how to fit sockets and light switches

Reply to Self-isolating? ... time to upgrade knowledge... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net