Discuss Shameless help required with RCD trips. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BristolMartin

Hi. I am a total novice with no electrical qualifications, but a quick learner and good with DIY and IT. I own a few old arcade machines at home and am having problems with my RCD tripping.

How should I test and what am I looking for?

I have had an electrician in to put a new RCD in to Isolate the building supply where the machines are, it is a RCCB 100A 100MA.

I am quite sure its one of a few games doing it and I have just purchased this: Kewtech KEW 2434 Earth Leakage Clamp Meter

Is it just a case of measuring the Mains plug earth from each Machine? Then in turn each component from within the machine? I am assuming I work backwards from the Building mains and turn on one machine etc and measure. What measurements should I be looking for.

Thanks

Martin

if you clamp the incoming tails, together, the leakage meter will show the difference between L and N. that is your leakage. the plug in each machine in turn and see when and if the reading increases. it could be a result of each machine haVING A CERTAIN LEAKAGE , AND ADDED TOGETHER, THEY ARE SUFFICIENT TO TRIP THE rcd.

There is no shame in asking for help with something you are not sure of.
The shame comes in when you are a poster who takes money from people for doing electrical work after something like a 5 week course and undercuts proper sparks but dont know jack ----.

Boydy

Hi. I am a total novice with no electrical qualifications, but a quick learner and good with DIY and IT. I own a few old arcade machines at home and am having problems with my RCD tripping.

How should I test and what am I looking for?

I have had an electrician in to put a new RCD in to Isolate the building supply where the machines are, it is a RCCB 100A 100MA.

I am quite sure its one of a few games doing it and I have just purchased this: Kewtech KEW 2434 Earth Leakage Clamp Meter

Is it just a case of measuring the Mains plug earth from each Machine? Then in turn each component from within the machine? I am assuming I work backwards from the Building mains and turn on one machine etc and measure. What measurements should I be looking for.

Thanks

Martin
so lets see Martin...
you have already seen the diversity issue here.....so you went and had another RCD installed to seperate from the rest of the building

you have then identified that earth leakage could be the issue here....so promptly went off and bought a leakage clamp..

you have then set about coming in here to seek advice on how to use it safely whilst acheaving the values/results you need

this is much better than the usual stuff from non-electrical posters....who often try getting advice in here....are issued with such advice...then promptly go off and ignore it...

seems like Martin has the ability to work on his own initiative as well.....unlike some of the regular posters in here....lol...

Hi - It was fitted due to my load on teh downstairs ring and the board was a very old board and to rule out the tripping they fitted this item. It cured most of the tripping but it still happens. I do feel it was fitted to mask an issue and not actually fix the root cause.

The electrics to the Garage are from an armoured cable pulled from the downstairs ring and spurred off. What is the max amps I can pull safely on that spur?

Hi - It was fitted due to my load on the downstairs ring
RCDs have nothing to do with the load (other than obviously they must be capable of carrying it).

and the board was a very old board and to rule out the tripping they fitted this item.
If you mean because a 30mA RCD was tripping too frequently then that is not a fix.
(like taking out the oil warning lamp in the car because it keeps lighting)
For personal protection 30mA must be used.

It cured most of the tripping but it still happens.
It didn't CURE anything.
It merely lessened the sensitivity of a safety device.

I do feel it was fitted to mask an issue and not actually fix the root cause.
Precisely. More like ignore rather than mask.

The electrics to the Garage are from an armoured cable pulled from the downstairs ring and spurred off. What is the max amps I can pull safely on that spur?
If, as you say, it is a spur then without 13A protection it should have no more than one socket connected to it.
With 13A protection you may have as many sockets as you want although the load will be limited to the 13A.

As said above, an inspection by an electrician would be advisable.

Reply to Shameless help required with RCD trips. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net