Discuss Shoddy work in carpark!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Just been in Homebase to choose a light fitting with a customer and i see this shining example of electrical work.
Looking at the cable run they have tapped into a swa from the old car park lights and then run it up a pole to service the car park enforcement cameras to clock entry and exit times.
The cowboys didnt even make an attempt to use some magical insulation tape to cover it.
In event the little hole fills with rain and some kid comes along then could be dangerous.
I put my tester on it to see if live and 240v going down it.
Told the manager in the store and his response is classic... "Its okay as the electrician is registered with niceic and hes tested it and everything. We are only allowed to use approved electricians due to health and safety!!"
I bit my lip and held back on this one but im going to email their head office as this is ridiculous.

Here is the efforts by the cowboy

20170922_085713.jpg

Surely someone at the store would be responsible for signing off any work completed by a contractor? Though I guess it will be a case of "I'm sure its fine they are registered electricians" Store manager who can't be bothered to come out of his/her cosy office to have a quick look over work completed.
Anybody with half a brain, whether they have any knowledge or not of electrics, would surely question such a sh** job done!
"tradesmen" who produce workmanship like this should be prosecuted!!

I think I might have lead the manager by the hand, showed them the exposed wires, taken his name and said something like, ‘ so you are quite happy to leave live exposed electrical parts to the danger of customers and staff?’
Lead him by the scruff of his coat sounds more reasonable

The same Homebase that sell cable and accessories to the general public, encouraging the bodged DIY examples seen elsewhere on the forum. Hardware store light fittings are the worst in design.... IKEA, take note. Awful, awful products. Normally 2 screws that are too short to reach any wooden joist above the ceiling, and 2 rawlplugs that don't quite fit the screws. No provision in their connections for a looped live, or an earth wire for that matter.
I'm not surprised seeing that photo. The materials used look like they were taken from the shop floor.

Just been in Homebase to choose a light fitting with a customer and i see this shining example of electrical work.
Looking at the cable run they have tapped into a swa from the old car park lights and then run it up a pole to service the car park enforcement cameras to clock entry and exit times.
The cowboys didnt even make an attempt to use some magical insulation tape to cover it.
In event the little hole fills with rain and some kid comes along then could be dangerous.
I put my tester on it to see if live and 240v going down it.
Told the manager in the store and his response is classic... "Its okay as the electrician is registered with niceic and hes tested it and everything. We are only allowed to use approved electricians due to health and safety!!"
I bit my lip and held back on this one but im going to email their head office as this is ridiculous.

I would send your picture and the response received to your local news paper or online service. Or they might end up reporting on something like this;

Large group of people hit with electric shocks while trying to fix fallen pole - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/horrifying-moment-men-hit-electric-8661080

Warning contains disturbing images :eek:

It definitely needs taking further - you're going to feel pretty bad if something happens in the future.

Send an email with the photo attached to the store manager and to their head office expressing your concerns. Tell them you want a reply to the email or you will be reporting it to the relevant authorities.

To be honest, the head office should thank you for this - their health and safety dept would be very interested.

Homebase are entirely responsible for the electrical installation at that site and it is clearly a breach of the E&WR 1989. You have consulted the Manager who was not too concerned so why not consult the HSE.
Then then watch the booger squirm and writhe, best interview near a WC though.

They are in breach of at least four Regulations there all of which are Absolute Regulations the fines for which can be hefty to say the least.

They are in breach of at least four Regulations there all of which are Absolute Regulations the fines for which can be hefty to say the least.
And some time at Her Maj's Pleasure if it's bad enough. or the Judge is missing his free lunch at the house of lords.

Homebase are entirely responsible for the electrical installation at that site and it is clearly a breach of the E&WR 1989. You have consulted the Manager who was not too concerned so why not consult the HSE.

As its a car park, public or private provided by a retailer, I don't think it would be in the HSE area or remit. More likely the local authority's?

There's a squished roadside cabinet near me, been like it for weeks. I'm afraid these days its not until someone gets hurt, that any of the authorities take action. Unless the media start asking them awkward questions.

Reply to Shoddy work in carpark!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net