Discuss Single Core SWA in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pope

I have been asked to install a isolator to extend some cables feeding a chiller.

Normally I would just run another multicore swa to the new location but they have had it designed with 240mm armoured single core to the new location. Of which they are not budging on.

But the chiller is outside so what options do I have for retaining ip rating of the enclosure and stopping eddy currents.

I have a few options I have thought of just seeing how others would do it.

I have been asked to install a isolator to extend some cables feeding a chiller.

Normally I would just run another multicore swa to the new location but they have had it designed with 240mm armoured single core to the new location. Of which they are not budging on.

But the chiller is outside so what options do I have for retaining ip rating of the enclosure and stopping eddy currents.

would a mf joint be acceptable to extend it?

when i was in derby hospital they have about 4 on tray or in subs that have been extended.

i dont know what size they are but they were thicker than my calfs

They want an isolator didn't have one before but gives local isolation which is better than not having any. It's just the termination into the metal box retaining the ip rating im after some more ideas on incase someone had a better idea than mine.

They want an isolator didn't have one before but gives local isolation which is better than not having any. It's just the termination into the metal box retaining the ip rating im after some more ideas on incase someone had a better idea than mine.
jigsaw it out and use a non ferous gland plate if you are going to have multiple swa cables glanded into it.

my engineer stepdad just chirped up they use fr4 plastic for the glandplates

Last edited:

Didn't know you could get single core SWA. You'd think there can't be many uses for it.

A lot easier to work with four single 240mm2 armoured cables than it is one four core 240mm2.

Darkwood got in there first.

The cutting slots was my first thought with epoxy but sounds a bit rough? Normally I'd make a gland plate but not really enough room to cut the old one out and fabricate something to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't know you could get single core SWA. You'd think there can't be many uses for it.

Of course you can, it just has aluminium armour instead of steel for obvious reasons.
The use of single core steel SWA is not permitted under 7671.

Confusion comes in due to the two definitions for SWA. It's either steel wire armour or single wire armour.

Check tables 4D3A and 4E3A of BS7671.
Particularly the note about the armour.

Reply to Single Core SWA in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net