Discuss Size of shower cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Very broadly speaking up to 8.5kw on a 6mm
8.5kw to 10kw will need a 10mm

You have just given this plumber a green light IMO lol

And a green light on advice that is wrong!

Why do people persist in their quest to not only help people do things they shouldn't be doing, but to give them duff advice as well?!

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'blind leading the blind' in this particular case. But at least get it right before you advise people to do what they shouldn't be doing. Better still though, just don't advise at all unless that advice is plainly and simply; "get a qualified electrician in".

Thanks would many sparkys be able to take care of the plumbing too. Its an old 25year plus shower that needs swapping.

Comments removed for the sake of forum decorum and in fear of a wrapping on the knuckles by learned professionals.
I do love em though xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Why do people persist in their quest to not only help people do things they shouldn't be doing, but to give them duff advice as well?!

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'blind leading the blind' in this particular case. But at least get it right before you advise people to do what they shouldn't be doing. Better still though, just don't advise at all unless that advice is plainly and simply; "get a qualified electrician in".

I'm terribly sorry, you are of course quite correct.
The cable selection regarding 8.5kw to 10kw on a 10mm is vague and ball park, but other comments were in the post regarding this.
My point is its not a simple answer.
But getting a qualified electrician is not an easy thing these days.
You can think your a qualified electrician, and then thankfully be reminded that clearly your not.
And that's where I now find myself.
So my advise to the original poster with corrections in place is
Get a qualified electrician, and in future I will do likewise.
Thank you once again for your advice.

This is why I very rarely dish out any advice on here (not that I could anyway!); sketchy 1st posts, don't know who's asking, can't see the site ... list goes on.

Of course all the above is very true.
So difficult to judge the integrity, knowledge, experience, or competence of anybody on this forum.
And I do mean anybody.
Some are no doubt very nice, genuine people, with a wealth of experience under there belt.
Others are arrogant self obsessed masters of there universe who probably make a living sucking on the experience and hard work of the genuine electrician.
Of all the electrical consultants, technicians, engineers, and qualified electricians I have known and respect. Not one of them is or has been a member of this forum. Or feel any need to be so.
I come on here when a little bored and enjoy the banter.
I have spent a lovely evening with friends one of which is a telecoms engineer, the other a solicitor, and another has his own plumbing business.
Our wife's likewise enjoyed the evening, been talking about an up coming cruise that we are all looking forward to.
For me its time for bed, and for those who relate to my comments, and come here for similar reasons (and they know who they are)
I would say take any sarcasm, arrogance, or statements relating to the I no so much more than anyone else brigade with a pinch of salt.
There not an integral part of your life or mine in the real world.
And lets face it, the real world is full of, how shall we say, Plonkers. lol.
Have a really good night fellas, God bless xx

Thanks would many sparkys be able to take care of the plumbing too. Its an old 25year plus shower that needs swapping.
Then it aint a like for like saw, particularly given the requirement for RCD protection per manufacturers instructions. Can a plumber spell RCD? ;)

Of course all the above is very true.
So difficult to judge the integrity, knowledge, experience, or competence of anybody on this forum.
And I do mean anybody.
Some are no doubt very nice, genuine people, with a wealth of experience under there belt.
Others are arrogant self obsessed masters of there universe who probably make a living sucking on the experience and hard work of the genuine electrician.
Of all the electrical consultants, technicians, engineers, and qualified electricians I have known and respect. Not one of them is or has been a member of this forum. Or feel any need to be so.
I come on here when a little bored and enjoy the banter.
I have spent a lovely evening with friends one of which is a telecoms engineer, the other a solicitor, and another has his own plumbing business.
Our wife's likewise enjoyed the evening, been talking about an up coming cruise that we are all looking forward to.
For me its time for bed, and for those who relate to my comments, and come here for similar reasons (and they know who they are)
I would say take any sarcasm, arrogance, or statements relating to the I no so much more than anyone else brigade with a pinch of salt.
There not an integral part of your life or mine in the real world.
And lets face it, the real world is full of, how shall we say, Plonkers. lol.
Have a really good night fellas, God bless xx

With that mix of friends and technical ability you were probably best placed to help the OP! The plumber friend regarding plumbing, you regarding electrics, the telecom engineer for advice on avoiding their cables and the solicitor friend for legal advice when it all goes wrong for the OP! :D

P.S.
I'm afraid your god didn't bless me :(

I am working in a house at the moment where the customer has got a tiler in , and he's plastering all the walls , fitting bathrooms , fitting kitchens , installing plumbing , and when I went back he had all my electrical work apart and was playing with that , what hope is there in this country when customers don't give a ---- about proper tradesmen to do their work ...

I had a right set too with this guy , but the customer sees his work of more importance , so what chance have you got , just about anyone thinks they can dabble with our work.....

Dear oh dear,
Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.
The original poster could gleam the information he requires from any web search or forum he wishes to visit.
It takes a simple google search.
And maybe that's where the real problem lies because as we all know a little knowledge can sometimes be dangerous.
The OP as an example could easily have visited this;

Shower Cable Size | Size Chart | Gainsborough Showers

And taken his info from there.
So in retrospect I was simply making the OP aware of the many variables required to ensure the install was safe and compliant.
6mm as said, will suffice in most instances for an 8.5kw shower
And from 8.5 to 10kw 10mm.
Once again the installation method and cable run along with other factors will dictate.
Safety is paramount and for that reason a qualified electrician is the sensible way forward.
And looking back that's exactly what I said.
So no I was not giving the OP the green light, I was simply making him aware that there is more to his question than he was aware of.
I pointed out that if he was unsure seek a qualified electrician.
Hardly a green light, and as a response certainly not a case of the blind leading the blind.
I am well aware of my level of competence, experience, and knowledge base.
Still learning actually as we all are.
We can have differences of opinion, and different levels of experience.
But I hold true to my belief that certain people on this forum have a very arrogant attitude, and as said come from the I know better than anyone else brigade.
We can all cross T's and dot I's looking for holes to pick in someone's comments, but that doesn't excuse rudeness or lack of respect.
We all come from different backgrounds and levels of experience.
Regardless of trade or profession there are decent people and there are silly billy's lol.
Its as simple as that, we are what we are fellas.:icon12:

We spend years a college(or at least most of us do) learning about cable cals the science behnid electrics and theory for a good reason. There is more than just what size cable due to Kw rating of the shower. What about earthing arrangements, Zs of the circuit, compliance with section 701 of the BGB.

So before you get on your high horse preaching about us being arrogant, make sure you give correct advice with everything in mind as you say a little knowledge can be dangerous.

We spend years a college(or at least most of us do) learning about cable cals the science behnid electrics and theory for a good reason. There is more than just what size cable due to Kw rating of the shower. What about earthing arrangements, Zs of the circuit, compliance with section 701 of the BGB.

So before you get on your high horse preaching about us being arrogant, make sure you give correct advice with everything in mind as you say a little knowledge can be dangerous.

Yes I did too, and agree.
That's all in my reply to the original poster, phrased somewhat differently but there.
My comments are not for you regarding arrogance. Your one of the nice guys and if you knew and worked with me we would be shaking hands and you would find me very different to what you perceive on a forum.
That's the shame of it.

Yes I did too, and agree.
That's all in my reply to the original poster, phrased somewhat differently but there.
My comments are not for you regarding arrogance. Your one of the nice guys and if you knew and worked with me we would be shaking hands and you would find me very different to what you perceive on a forum.
That's the shame of it.

I'm guessing the comments were for me regarding arrogance, and I'm guessing that's because you perceive me to be 'not one of the nice guys'.

Well guess what, I couldn't give hoot.

I certainly don't come from the 'I know better than anyone else' camp, far from it in fact, but your advice about 6mm for up to 8.5kW and 10mm for the rest, although a rough guide, is still wrong. It would be like me saying that a rough guide for sub mains is to use 16mm cable!? Well hang on a moment... What about a 200A sub main?!

You start giving people 'rough' guides and they will use them. It is in our nature to take a mile when given an inch.

There are situations where 16mm cable may well be needed for an 8.5kW shower and there are other situations when 6mm may well be just fine for a 10.5kW shower. You explain well that there are other issues that need taking into account but this guy is a plumber, he isn't going to know is he. For all you know he may be looking at your post and all he sees is "6mm is fine for 8.5kW". That is where the danger lies and was the only point I was making.

If you're going to be giving out advice to unqualified people it should be "get a qualified electrician", no more no less. The moment you start making them think that it is a job they can do themselves they are going to cease this opportunity aren't they! If they're the sort that know their limits they wouldn't be on here in the first place asking us how to do something they shouldn't be doing. What is worse however is not only providing advice that allows them to scoot off and start tampering with the unknown, but providing advice that hints at options that may well be unsuitable. In this case, you've nothing short of a recipe for disaster.

I know that a lot of people on here have the undying urge to 'help' others, all at the same time showing off what knowledge they may (or as is often the case 'don't) have and racking up their post count at the same time. All I'm saying is maybe sometimes, it's best to quell that urge.

If by saying this I come across as a d¡ckhead then so be it. I'd far rather be a d¡ckhead that doles out the right advice than a d¡ckhead that doles out wrong and potentially dangerous advice.

The other thought I have had for a long time is that as there are so many threads posted on this forum , there must be situations that cover almost everything , so anyone can register on here and search for something to give them the answer they want ...

I just tapped in 'Shower cable size required' on google and up came a selection including a thread on this forum from 2011 exactly what this guy needs ...

Reply to Size of shower cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net