Discuss Testing Immersion Heaters & Thermostats in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Been asked to look at a immersion heater thats packed up, there are 2 heating elements one on ecconomy 7 and the other on normal.
Could you please tell me how to test to find whats gone wrong. Would like to know how to test heating element and thermostat. Also is there a way of testing the ecconomy 7 side for power during normal working hours or will I have to test in the midle of the night.

Sorry guys for what may seem a silly question and I'm sure this has been mentioned before! PS i have search form first before asking for help.

Your help will be appricated

Many Thanks
Steve

Test resistance of the element on continuity between line and neutral. Result should be (if 3kw element)

P=IV
V=IR

3000/230 = 13.04A
230/13.04 = 17.64 Ohms

If the resistance is not around 17-18 amps assuming its a 3kw element then something may be wrong.

Hope that helps a bit

the top one in the tank is the BOOST one the bottom one is the economy 7 one it is possible Bothe are faulty and person hasnt noticed until Boost one has gone as said by others a resistance test is way to test

Reply to Testing Immersion Heaters & Thermostats in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, Have normal fused immersion heater switch. I would like to add a smart wifi switch to it so when my Solar is producing over 3k spare, going...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone maybe able to help. We have a Horstmann electronic 7 that's connected to the water heater element(everything been great for years)...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone maybe able to help. We have a Horstmann electronic 7 that's connected to the water heater element(everything been great for years)...
Replies
Views
Hi, My flat uses an Economy 7 tariff. When I use the boost heater, it works fine. But the off-peak water heater doesn't heat up the water...
Replies
Views
Hi Absolutely 0 knowledge of this so excuse language / terms / explanation. Electric only ground floor 2 bed flat ( 3 external walls) On peak...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock