Discuss The Future of Fuse boards...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can just imagine Delroys face when he turn up to do a Youtuber domestic board change this year only to find some sparky has completely filled it to the brim with builders foam...

NO WAY NO WAY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN DONE THAT I CAN'T SEE IT

Imagine telling a customer that they need to spend a load of money on a new metal consumer unit, telling them how much safer it is in a fire and then leaving a dirty great hole in their wall partition.

There is no argument for not sealing it up.

Imagine telling a customer that they need to spend a load of money on a new metal consumer unit, telling them how much safer it is in a fire and then leaving a dirty great hole in their wall partition.

There is no argument for not sealing it up.
Here we go again 😀

I tried using that naff grommet strip, including super gluing it, never stays it place, even when carefully inserting a larger cable. Hager bespoke grommet is the same. Manufacturers should come up with something more substantial.

Totally irrelevant. And there is nothing in the Regs about making a CU 'airtight' , if anything that's counter productive as we're told to install in such a way to minimise the build up of heat or words to that effect.
I think that most people would know what Brian meant when saying “airtight”.

Also, I don't understand how you can disagree about leaving a dirty, great hole in a wall cavity.

Have a read of section 527.

I think that most people would know what Brian meant when saying “airtight”.

Also, I don't understand how you can disagree about leaving a dirty, great hole in a wall cavity.

Have a read of section 527.
Has the penetration breached a fire compartment because if not no further action is required.

Has the penetration breached a fire compartment because if not no further action is required.

The metal CU should be treated as a form of fire barrier/containment, that being the whole reason for having metal CUs in the first place.

Cutting a hole that size in a wooden partition and leaving it cannot be said to be the work of a decent electrician.

The metal CU should be treated as a form of fire barrier/containment, that being the whole reason for having metal CUs in the first place.

Cutting a hole that size in a wooden partition and leaving it cannot be said to be the work of a decent electrician.
No metal consumer units are not fire barriers because if they were then you would spend a considerable amount of money on them plus their Achilles heel would be cable entries and the protective devices. Metal consumer units are used because the enclosure does not readily combust, no more. You are misinformed.

No metal consumer units are not fire barriers because if they were then you would spend a considerable amount of money on them plus their Achilles heel would be cable entries and the protective devices. Metal consumer units are used because the enclosure does not readily combust, no more. You are misinformed.
I said “They should be treated” I didn't say “They are fire barriers”.

Common sense would tell you that cable entries that are sealed are going to act as a barrier.

I said “They should be treated” I didn't say “They are fire barriers”.

Common sense would tell you that cable entries that are sealed are going to act as a barrier.
You are giving incorrect information because just by stating this you believe it is a fire barrier. Common sense and fact are not necessarily the same because the size of entry is irrelevant and requires no sealing if it does not breech a fire compartment.

You are giving incorrect information because just by stating this you believe it is a fire barrier. Common sense and fact are not necessarily the same because the size of entry is irrelevant and requires no sealing if it does not breech a fire compartment.
. What constitutes a ‘non-combustible enclosure’?

A non-combustible enclosure includes base, cover, door and any components e.g. hinges, covers, screws and catches, necessary to maintain fire containment. See diagram 1. Blanks and devices are contained within the non-combustible enclosure.

3 How is account taken of cable entries into a ‘non-combustible enclosure’ with respect to
containment of internal fire and escape of flames?.

Good workmanship and proper materials must be applied by the installer. The cable installation entry method shall, as far as is reasonably practicable, maintain the fire containment of the enclosure. Account shall be taken of the manufacturers instructions, if any.

. What constitutes a ‘non-combustible enclosure’?

A non-combustible enclosure includes base, cover, door and any components e.g. hinges, covers, screws and catches, necessary to maintain fire containment. See diagram 1. Blanks and devices are contained within the non-combustible enclosure.

3 How is account taken of cable entries into a ‘non-combustible enclosure’ with respect to
containment of internal fire and escape of flames?.

Good workmanship and proper materials must be applied by the installer. The cable installation entry method shall, as far as is reasonably practicable, maintain the fire containment of the enclosure. Account shall be taken of the manufacturers instructions, if any.
It's purpose is not to contain a fire it is not a fire barrier. This is a common misconception.

Out of interest. Do those who object to holes in the back of a DB insist upon installation of an interconnected smoke detection system, prior to upgrade of any domestic board?

Surely early detection of all types of fire would be of much greater importance than the short term containment of one unlikely source of fire.

Reply to The Future of Fuse boards...? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net