Discuss Thoroughly confused about the different courses out there in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jodes

I have been dabbling with the idea of studying to become an electrician for about a year now. But I am still confused about the different courses, qualifications, final statuses, etc etc! Is it just me being a muppet, or is the whole system really complex and convoluted?! (No offence! Feel free to say I'm a muppet)

I was going to ask if there is a clear, comprehensive guide explaining the different routes that can be taken, the different end results, etc, but I think I've now got a mental block so maybe someone can try to answer my questions?

1. What categories of self-sufficient electricians are there? For example, what is the term for the qualification (given suitable experience) of someone who is qualified to re-wire parts of a house? What else would that qualification enable them to do, or not to do? For example, would that include the status to be able to install a three-phase equipment such as an industrial espresso machine or kiln somewhere? Or work on street lights, or put up Christmas decorations on a high street?

2. Is experience in the field (and proof of it) as an apprentice absolutely required for entitlements such as a self-sufficient domestic electrician? Or could someone determined to learn at home by reading material including text books, regulations and real-life situations via a forum like this one, manage to pass the exams including the practicals in AM2, and become a fully qualified domestic electrician without having been an apprentice?

Thanks!

Enquire at your local higher education college for the appropriate courses you'll need to complete and pass to become a qualified electrician. There is no such thing as a ''Part'' qualified electrician, there is no such thing as a domestic electrician, these are meaningless titles made up by others to increase income for their organisations. Apart from the technical/theory qualifications, you'll need work experience and you won't gain that by reading books, ...that experience can only be gained via working alongside a qualified mentor. At the end of the day, you are either an electrician or you're NOT!!

Basically if you can't, or for any other reason unprepared to put in the time and effort, you'll stand little to no chance of ever becoming a qualified electrician....

I have been dabbling with the idea of studying to become an electrician for about a year now. But I am still confused about the different courses, qualifications, final statuses, etc etc! Is it just me being a muppet, or is the whole system really complex and convoluted?! (No offence! Feel free to say I'm a muppet)

I was going to ask if there is a clear, comprehensive guide explaining the different routes that can be taken, the different end results, etc, but I think I've now got a mental block so maybe someone can try to answer my questions?

1. What categories of self-sufficient electricians are there? For example, what is the term for the qualification (given suitable experience) of someone who is qualified to re-wire parts of a house? What else would that qualification enable them to do, or not to do? For example, would that include the status to be able to install a three-phase equipment such as an industrial espresso machine or kiln somewhere? Or work on street lights, or put up Christmas decorations on a high street?

2. Is experience in the field (and proof of it) as an apprentice absolutely required for entitlements such as a self-sufficient domestic electrician? Or could someone determined to learn at home by reading material including text books, regulations and real-life situations via a forum like this one, manage to pass the exams including the practicals in AM2, and become a fully qualified domestic electrician without having been an apprentice?

Thanks!
The facts are Electrician and Domestic Installer are two different things. The training required for Domestic Installer is much lower than an Electrician as is only a registration status once registered. An Electrician can also register as a Domestic Installer if he wishes to notify jobs under Part P. The current status quo means you do not have to be an electrician to register with a scheme provider and carry out notifiable electrical works under building regulation Part P in peoples homes. Basically look at the JIB website to see the requirements of an Electrician, this is presently the only grading system we have. the Term "Electrician" is not protected but the JIB requirement is what an employer would look for in an Electrician if that helps. Look at NICEIC Domestic Installer scheme to see requirements for Domestic Installer.

Last edited:
If your naive enough to think that becoming an Electrician of any sort within these short courses think again , short courses are a money making racket devised by the centres that do it and allowed by the government , there is as much risk to property and life wether you deal with domestic , commercial or industrial work , only the proper qualifications and training is of any use doing this work ...

Get yourself to the local college and take a look at doing the job properly , after all thats what you're potential customers would want of you....

From my understanding of JIB website it's only an NVQ 3 is all you need.
That confuses me, cause the only people doing NVQs when I went to school
was those who didn't have the academic ability to do A levels and uni.

the nvq3 is after your 2365 or whatever the course code is now.

LOL I re- read my post it might appear a bit haughty taughty.
I took a D32 skills Assessor course 20 years ago and have experience of NVQs
In my opinion the system is open to abuse, not so much in conventional colleges.
More in the private sector with target driven financially incentivised assessors.

Amazing!!

And then people here wonder why the industry is going down the pan!!
You are you're own worse enemies

I take it that was directed at me. You are using your personal views and advising according to them. I don't make the rules I am only saying it as it is. You are an Engineer working abroad. I am a "JIB Approved" Electrician who lives and works in the UK, predominantly in the Domestic Sector and I have a full diary. I would go on to say that there are many half assed electricians who can't really cut it and blame the Domestic Installers for lack of work. I can seriously out perform any short course domestic installer so how are they competition to me? I would say that Domestic Installers don't have any negative effect on my business.

From my understanding of JIB website it's only an NVQ 3 is all you need.
That confuses me, cause the only people doing NVQs when I went to school
was those who didn't have the academic ability to do A levels and uni.
Are you getting confused with GNVQs? NVQs are something else.

The City & Guilds 2357 incorporates a technical certificate (which can be done separately as the City & Guilds 2365 if you're not already working in the trade) and NVQ3, and will form the basis of your qualification. Studying this at your local college in conjunction with working as an apprentice or adult trainee on site is the route to becoming an electrician.

A distance learning course with a training centre is the route to becoming either a cowboy or a clueless wannabe.

The route you take is up to you - do you want to learn a trade, or do you have your head so far up your own backside you think you know it all already?

I take it that was directed at me. You are using your personal views and advising according to them. I don't make the rules I am only saying it as it is. You are an Engineer working abroad. I am a "JIB Approved" Electrician who lives and works in the UK, predominantly in the Domestic Sector and I have a full diary. I would go on to say that there are many half assed electricians who can't really cut it and blame the Domestic Installers for lack of work. I can seriously out perform any short course domestic installer so how are they competition to me? I would say that Domestic Installers don't have any negative effect on my business.

Yes it WAS!!

Then you should be bloody ashamed of yourself...

So it's a case on your part, i'm alright Jack, and sod everyone else, including the industry that's giving you a living. Sounds about right!!

GNVQs bit the dust years ago.
I know a bit about NVQs are having passed some and worked as an assessor for 2 yrs.
I got sick of the endless politically correct BS, and the web of repetitive work.

If your saying you have to another course parallel to the NVQ3 that's a good thing. :)

Reply to Thoroughly confused about the different courses out there in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net